Which Version of SketchUp for Beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I would like to learn SketchUp and after reading Mark Johnson's thread (here) which has several good learning resources, I have one question. Is it acceptable to begin with SketchUp Make or would I be better served to invest in SketchUp Pro?

Thanks.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Start out with the MAKE version (free) and see how far you get into it. You can purchase the PRO if you need ALL the features. I'm still using Sketchup 8 and am still learning all the little ins and outs.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Definitely start w/ the free version. I've been using it for several years and find that I can do everything I need to design a project.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Let's see.... Make is free and Pro is far from free. The free version is all you will need - possibly ever.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for your good advice . . . Free is good, especially when it gets the job done!:D

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
As the others have said, start with the free version. Make sure you download from the correct link. If you plan to use SketchUp for more than just your own personal projects, you should take a moment to read the EULA.

Most hobbyist woodworkers will find that SketchUp Make will cover what they need to do. There are features of the pro version that may be useful depending on your needs but as far as just drawing, there's little difference.

For those still using SketchUp 8 or SketchUp 2013, you should be aware that at the end of this month the web-based features will quit working because Google will turn off the redirects for those. See this link.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm still using SketchUp v.8 because my vintage MacBook Pro can't support SU 2015 and that's okay for now. I seldom use 3D Warehouse but it'll still be accessible via an indirect link. Thanks, Dave.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Yes, you will still be able to use your internet browser to access the 3D Warehouse.

Jeff, you should at least be able use SU2014 on your old MacBook Pro. You can download SU2014 Make here.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
According to Sketchup's website, here is a feature comparison of the MAKE and PRO versions.

sketchup.JPG

While it would be nice to be able to import/export CAD files, and to print drawings to scale, most of us would be unable to justify spending $595.00 for features that are nice to have but rarely used. It would be wonderful if Sketchup offered a middle-of-the-road program, much like PhotoShop did with PhotoShop Elements, for those of us who don't have a need (or the budget) for the Pro version.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
On the other hand, if you compare it to other drawing packages offering similar capability, the price of Sketchup pro isn't so bad.

Usually when I see this kind of discussion come up on woodworking forums, somebody chimes in and says the best program for 3D drawing is Solidworks. I did some price checking last summer and found that SW is more than 10 times the price of SketchUp.

There's much more to pro than just importing/exporting CAD files but as I said many times before, if the free version offers the capabilities you need, there's no point in going pro.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
There's much more to pro than just importing/exporting CAD files but as I said many times before, if the free version offers the capabilities you need, there's no point in going pro.

It's unfortunate that the only choices are riding a bicycle or driving a Cadillac. One may not be quite enough, while the other is way too much. That's how I feel about SketchUp. I'm sure many Make users would pay a reasonable price to have a few more key features and, at the same time, increase the numbers of people willing to support SketchUp with their cash. If that day ever comes, I'll be the first in line. Until then, the free version will have to do - and I'm thankful to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors