Which side do the hinges go?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
If we have a case with three doors, one left one right and one center, on which side is the center door hinged for best practices?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
To me ? depends on the room orientation, there is no set rule.
Left or right is dependent on the client or your CHO (chief home officer)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
To me ? depends on the room orientation, there is no set rule.
Left or right is dependent on the client or your CHO (chief home officer)
This one sits in the middle of a wall, so any side will work. I was thinking about ergonomics.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm right handed, I usually open the door with my left hand so I can reach in and grab with my right.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If we have a case with three doors, one left one right and one center, on which side is the center door hinged for best practices?
What if you put all the hinges on the same side? It doesn't answer your question or solve the problem, but it will add another option to the mix :)

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I'm with Bas. If one end of the cabinet is in a corner and the other end is on an open wall, install all hinges on the corner wall side. It also depends on the lower cabinet configuration. And, and, and, etc.
Whatever works best.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I ended up with the center door left hinged.

If one googles “three door cabinet” Wiley wins, most of them are right hinged. The occasional one is left hinged.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have an opinion here but it's been somewhat humorous to follow this thread. It's one of those questions like, "Should I cut the pins first or tails first?" Ask two woodworkers and you'll get three answers. :)

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
We did. Her answer:

“You folks should be the ones qualified to do it the best way.”
I wonder what she says to a hairdresser when asked which side she parts her hair on? It’s a personal preference. You should have put the hinge on top and had it open toward the ceiling.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Actually, she has been a pleasure to work with. We are doing her whole house and the display cabinet was what got us the job. I believe she has more confidence in us than herself.

Below is an Ambrosia Maple top we had to farm out as part of the installation. At 163” X 60” it was too big for what I was comfortable to do in my shop.

Done by Raleigh Reclaim, excellent job.

7B4D1D48-EF6D-46F3-B294-5FCC59A5352C.jpeg

Last edited:

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
That is a great looking top! I'm always looking for options - what did that one cost as a reference?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS