Where in Raleigh area can I get actual 2" x 6" wood?

Classical Trim Lover

New User
Alicia
Hello,

I need 1 7/8" x 5 1/4" x 6 1/2" (times two of them so at least 13" long) for a couple of plinth blocks for our dining room mantel. And yes, it has to be at least 1 7/8" thick. I can only find 1 1/2" or maybe 1 5/8" thick wood. Ideally, it would be poplar, but anything that would look similar once painted would be fine.

I haven't called any place yet, but online Lowes, Home Depot, and Capitol City Lumber don't have it. I also tried the online catalog for Stephenson Millwork and Mullis Millwork, and tried looking online at Builders FirstSource and Professional Builders Supply, and came up empty.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Hello,

I need 1 7/8" x 5 1/4" x 6 1/2" (times two of them so at least 13" long) for a couple of plinth blocks for our dining room mantel. And yes, it has to be at least 1 7/8" thick. I can only find 1 1/2" or maybe 1 5/8" thick wood. Ideally, it would be poplar, but anything that would look similar once painted would be fine.

I haven't called any place yet, but online Lowes, Home Depot, and Capitol City Lumber don't have it. I also tried the online catalog for Stephenson Millwork and Mullis Millwork, and tried looking online at Builders FirstSource and Professional Builders Supply, and came up empty.

I think that I saw planed 8/4 poplar at Raleigh Reclaimed last week. That should be close to 1-7/8” thick. They are off Atlantic Avenue just south of Millbrook.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hello,

Capitol City most certainly has pieces of poplar larger than that (12/4). You can't expect them to have exactly that dime nsion; you would likely have to mill down to the size you want.
In fact l may have a piece in my shop that l bought from them.
Call them to check on stock levels, but they normally have it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS