Where can I get some ammonia for fuming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
Tried the search but nothing recent was found. Any ideas for the Raleigh area for getting a small quantity of concentrated ammonia?

jglord

New User
John
You wouldn't want it any more concentrated than the blueprint stuff. Highly concentrated ammonia is very, very nasty stuff - probably very controlled sales.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
Thanks for the tips. I used to be a chemist at a nuclear power plant and we used 95% anhydrous ammonium hydroxide. If you weren't extremely careful, just cracking the lid could about knock you down with the vapors. I have a large yard and a healthy respect for it, so I should be OK.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Call local school chemistery teacher. They will know what suppliers have it. There is a chemical company over in Durham, near Briggs Ave and NC 147 (Durham Expressway). I think their name is Cardinal. Did you look in the REAL YELLOW PAGES, under chemicals?

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Jim,

Can you use 30% aqueous NH4OH for fuming? If that's strong enough, pm me and let me know how much you need.

Cheers,
Bernhard

..and remember: Better living through chemistry!

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
I'll keep that in mind and thanks. I was able to contact a lab worker friend who says he can get me the small quantity of 50% that I need. That is a good thing since I don't want to pay for or store what would remain from a liter bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS