(Where can I find) Kitchen doors / Drawer fronts

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a friend gutting a house and he has decided to make the kitchen cabinets after seeing the quality vs cost.
He plans to paint them.

I mentioned that he might want to buy the doors rather than make them.
He used to work at a cabinet shop and said "I wish I would have paid more attention now" LOL

I did a search but did not find "Here is where I have purchased door or drawer fronts and was very happy"

I found one comment that the Hardwood Store will make doors and suggest he reaches out to them.

So here is the question;
1. Have you purchased doors from someone you are happy with.
2. Did they come primed?
3. Is there something he should watch for (Packaging, additional charges or ???)

I think @Willemjm and or @Phil S has made mentions of places and thought I would find it quickly but...nope...

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Entering Ready made cabinet doors into a search gave many results. Shaker style shouldn’t be too difficult for an experienced woodworker.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Entering Ready made cabinet doors into a search gave many results. Shaker style shouldn’t be too difficult for an experienced woodworker.
Thank you Berta - Please see my request - I want a recommendation, not someone I can pick off a google search.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used Harris Door and Drawer for my cabinet door and drawer fronts. They are located in Georgia. I really liked working with them. I sent them the sizes and everything came back exactly as I ordered. Only caveat is that it was 20 years ago. I don't have any recent experience with them.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I bought doors to match my kitchen from an online somebody for my pantry. Due to rough shipping, they all had to have a little repair done. A couple of forum members suggested this is common. The small doors for a vanity came just fine. After stripping and repainting my kitchen cabinets, I would absolutely suggest buoying doors! Some companies will even drill for the hinges but a Kreg or Chinese jig is cheaper. Search online. Many came up.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have a friend gutting a house and he has decided to make the kitchen cabinets after seeing the quality vs cost.
He plans to paint them.

I mentioned that he might want to buy the doors rather than make them.
He used to work at a cabinet shop and said "I wish I would have paid more attention now" LOL

I did a search but did not find "Here is where I have purchased door or drawer fronts and was very happy"

I found one comment that the Hardwood Store will make doors and suggest he reaches out to them.

So here is the question;
1. Have you purchased doors from someone you are happy with.
2. Did they come primed?
3. Is there something he should watch for (Packaging, additional charges or ???)

I think @Willemjm and or @Phil S has made mentions of places and thought I would find it quickly but...nope...
I use to make doors and ship them all over the country. We occasionally still make doors for a reface, to help out one of our builders, but we try and stay away from that if we can.

If set up correctly, making doors is fast and easy, the challenge lies in the painting. Getting a professional finish done is where the time and effort goes. Especially white, or a very dark color. Every tiny little natural wood defect and sandpaper scratch shows up.

The carcasses with face frames are more work than the doors and again the painting is where the effort goes. We paint prior to assembly.

Some of our manufacturers will do doors only, so if he wants pricing, he is welcome to contact me. They won’t sell directly to non dealers though.

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I bought 8 raised panel doors from Steve Wall about a month ago for the built ins I made in the living room. Soft maple, finish sanded, but not primed. I've sprayed primer on them and I'm waiting for it to warm up to spray them outside with BM Advance. The doors were around $55 per door for the wood and style I wanted. Shaker would be cheaper.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought 8 raised panel doors from Steve Wall about a month ago for the built ins I made in the living room. Soft maple, finish sanded, but not primed. I've sprayed primer on them and I'm waiting for it to warm up to spray them outside with BM Advance. The doors were around $55 per door for the wood and style I wanted. Shaker would be cheaper.
Thank you Parker, what were the dimensions of a door and what wood and style did you choose (for comparison)

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
I believe they are 14 by 28 or around there. Square raised panel (cove) with standard inside edge and a B2 round over for the outside edge.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
In my limited experience building a couple kitchens , vanities and several builtins, I can say @Willemjm is exactly right. The learning curve on making cope and stick doors is not horribly high. A woodworker with just a decent table saw and skills can make shaker doors.

That said, painted doors require a much higher degree of craftsmanship b/c every defect sticks out like a sore thumb.

The issue really is the finishing. No question it can make or break a project, really any prohject. Speaking for myself, yes I can build a nice door, and I have decent entry level spray equipment, but I spray paint and finishes so infrequently I will never get pro results. No I am not happy with either the paint or the quality of the job but it looks ok to the unobservant eye. 😁

So then the issue is build them and have them professionally finished? Or pay some one for the whole Job?

My one experience buying complete doors was the price goes up exponentially. When I refaced our kitchen the quote was $16,000. Local company. I did it myself for less than $2000. They would not paint them if I built them myself.

I don’t think you save enough money building them yourself if you’re paying someone to finish them. I talked to someone I know who is a car painter.

I think if you’re doing them yourself, do natural wood not paint.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
That is a good deal at $55.00

When we have to do that, which we try and avoid, I normally go to the link below and and use their site to get a price. That is what I charge the customer, the only difference is we are responsible for supply, install and the customer being happy. It works out to a whole lot more than $55 a door though for painted doors.

Safedadnc

Bob
User
I put our old oak kitchen cabinets in my shop. I am now replacing the cabinet door style with drawers. The doors I am taking off are now surplus…PM me if interested about details and photos.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS