Where can I buy straight 2x4's that will remain straight for years ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbc58

New User
chris
Don't laugh.

Where can I buy straight 2x4's that will remain straight for years to come? I want to build a 12x14 all-season platform tent with wooden interior frame that will likely stay up most of the year and possibly all the time. It may get taken down, stored for awhile, and then put back up.

I just know the stuff at HD or Lowes is not up for the task. Not sure if the Douglas Fir they sell would work but guessing not. I am near Raleigh. Open to any and all suggestions? Tks

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Also if you have a table saw and can rip the pieces to width, buying 10x or 12x lumber is usually straighter and higher quality wood.

richlife

New User
Rich
Chris, The "quality" of the 2x4s at the big box stores is not the real questions. It's a matter of choosing the best they have and understanding that all building material is basically as fast grown as possible and consequently will not have the internal structure to sustain changing weather conditions. While larger dimension MAY be better looking at purchase (don't bet on it), when you cut it down to size, you have the same issues.

I'd suggest you consider fir instead of pine, but you may have difficulty with the sizing. You can try either "laminating" two pieces or look to NC Hardwoods or Capitol City lumber for the right dimension. Look for lumber with tighter rings for the structural integrity you want.

Rich

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Have you considered eastern red cedar? Erc is pretty stable but still no guarantee of movement - buy it roughcut oversized and joint/plane straight to your final dimensions.

I'm with Mike
Aluminum or steel will fit that requirement

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

schnable

New User
Andrew
You want to find some "quartersaw" boards - which usually only come in the 2x12 size. Look for end grain going up and down:

364231046.jpg

Andrew

DaveD

New User
Dave
The problem ripping wider 2x lumber is you are going to relieve various internal stresses and may actually end up with worse looking 2x4s than ones bought from the store. You might want to consider kiln dried pressure treated lumber. Capital city might have it. Be prepared for sticker shock though.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Chris, I would advise against SYP for your application. Buy some in ERC, cypress, Juniper (Atlantic White Cedar) or WRC and they should stay straight. Jack in Rolesville and Ivey Pridgen in Burgaw will probably have ERC and Cypress material, and Mark Patterson in Sanford will have the Atlantic White Cedar material.

You might be able to find WRC at Lowes or HD.

cbc58

New User
chris
Thank you all for the replies. I had thought about metal but really want to do wood.

I'll check out some of the suppliers mentioned. Tks again.

sandfarm

Joe
User
Depends on the use of this lumber. I needed a 12' 2 x 4 to use as a center for an outdoor christmas tree.
I sawed a SYP into two pieces 2 x 2, reversed the two pieces (end to end), fastened with screws.
It has now been outside for a month each Christmas for four years and it is still straight.

Joe

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Can you get a glue lam this small? They are made of chipped boards and glue and should stay straighter. But nothing that absorbs and releases moisture is going to stay really straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS