When last did you use your hand plane?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
As much as I treasure all my hand planes, I can’t remember the last time I used one.

Since the shop has become a money making business and time is of the essence, the machines do it all.

bainin

New User
bainin
Just last weekend ... normally i would go to jointer/planer for most flattening operations but this shelf had some one-off small stock which I couldnt hold well across the jointer. Vise and hand plane did the trick though-with very little concern for my fingers :)

b

Attachments

• coffeeshelf2.jpg
    coffeeshelf2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 38

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use multiple hand planes almost every day I'm in the shop. But then, I'm not a business. @Willemjm, I get what you're saying. Few clients are willing to pay what it would cost for hand work.

Years ago I was at a crossroads of whether I would go into carpentry like my father, or push ahead in computer science. I made a conscious decision to stay with computers because I wanted to always enjoy woodworking without the added stress of depending on this as my livelihood.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I use multiple hand planes almost every day in my shop, I build custom furniture and my clients expect the extra work and time, even my dove tails are all cut by hand. With over 100 hand planes some from the late 1800's I use my favorites (Jack, block, Japanese jack and block) almost every day. Yes I have a jointer (10") and planner (22") but prefer my hand planes. I have 2 sets from Stanley for making molding but the shaper does the job far better and I can punch out molding all day without breaking a sweat. But when it comes to dressers and tables nothing beats a good hand plane IMHO.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Almost every project in the field I use mostly a block plane. At home every project multiple planes. Next week I’ll be setting some inset cabinet doors with a standard hinge, I’ll be using a router plane to hone the depth of the hinge mortise. I do enjoy my work.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I’ve fairly recently started using more hand tools, and I now go out of my way to use my hand planes on every project. Like several others have mentioned, I don’t do it professionally, so I’m not in a hurry.

I derive as much satisfaction from using the antique tools as I do from each completed project. With only one exception, my planes are all 100+ years old. My favorites were all made before the turn of the 20th century.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I feel this pretty deeply haha. Woodworking is a hobby for me. I have sold things to friends but I don't really ever want it to become my income (if possible.)
I do athletic landscaping for a living and pour hours of sweat and blood into. I take silly classes to learn more about the bugs and diseases. And I may have the shoddiest looking yard in my neighborhood loll. It's hard to justify tike and effort doing something for free that I get paid for every other day.
Hand tools are therapy for me. Power tools are technical and precise. Hand tools are art where you feel every grain you cut and manipulate. But if it were my livelihood , never haha.

Echd

C
User
Last night. Cleaned up some dried superglue on the mdf spoilerboard on my cnc. I use my planes quite a bit.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Unused them infrequently but I really don't know how to use them. I see guys on YouTube whittling away and wonder how they know when to stop, how to get to proper size etc. But them I'm only a few years into this as a hobby and where my hands out at work and tend to over grip tools and really need my hands resting when I can. It would be nice to maybe make a small box all by hand. As noted in another thread I'm working towards my first hand cut dovetails now. Maybe they will get me on a few more hand tool projects. A few can't hurt and it does create a story and a keepsake, maybe

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Unused them infrequently but I really don't know how to use them. I see guys on YouTube whittling away and wonder how they know when to stop, how to get to proper size etc. But them I'm only a few years into this as a hobby and where my hands out at work and tend to over grip tools and really need my hands resting when I can. It would be nice to maybe make a small box all by hand. As noted in another thread I'm working towards my first hand cut dovetails now. Maybe they will get me on a few more hand tool projects. A few can't hurt and it does create a story and a keepsake, maybe
This is rabbit hole that you must down. Welcome and good luck! 😉

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Almost every project now I use my hand tools, but like many others, this is my hobby so I use the tools and techniques that make me happy....
Used three hand planes today helping a neighbor fit some cabinets.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wish I had a hand plane at my daughters place today. Had to trim the top of a door with a 3/4 inch chisel. It worked Or I worked it. And her door doesn’t stick anymore.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
I don’t make a living at woodworking, but I have not built a furniture project in the last 20 years without using a handplane. I couldn’t afford the machinery that would be necessary to build without hand planes and chisels.

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
Almost every time I step in the shop. Sometimes when I don’t really need to out of necessity. It just feels good to use them.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I think all you folks are making be jealous. It's been a while, the last time was making some cutting boards with Maple and Cherry for Christmas many years ago, getting a 0.001" shaving all across. When I still had time to play and enjoy.

See video below.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS