When a band saw tire explodes

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I hate it when that happens. You hit the start switch and bang!

Happens every few years.

Ow well, guess it’s time for a fresh set.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
OK a couple questions maybe?

What size Bandsaw
What make?
How many years were those on the machine?

Truthfully, I have had tires on for over 15 years and they did not fall apart like that. Maybe Bob Vaughan can shed some light on this one.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Grizzly 17” with urethane tires (stock) on the wheels.

I get about four years, the urethane starts getting brittle, the band breaks, then the blade mauls it to pieces. Scares the hell out of me every time, the noise when it pops.

No worries, just my bad, have to replace them every three years and it won’t happen.

Can add I use my bandsaw quite a bit, from sawing logs to making veneer among all the other applications.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
In the past I have used rubber with steel bands embedded in the tire. They are currently cost prohibitive in my view for the Delta 20" BS. I have gone to poly tires and now I will check them more carefully knowing about your experience.

The current tires have not been trouble free. I had to send them back to the maker for reduction in the length. They were not all that difficult about the incorrect circumference of the tires but they were like a group of lawyers on the second drink at the bar. Live and learn.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Poly tires do that after a few years. They dry out. Rubber tires glued on lasts for decades, not years. Some poly lasts longer than others but eventually they fail in a dramatic manner that is memorable to the operator.
I do have one wheel with a poly tire. That tire was glued on with 3M 5200 adhesive. I don't think it will ever come off.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
The pieces look like bad bacon.
I have an odd Kity 613, made on the French/German border. The machine and the original tires are no 25 years old. Tires have never been an issue, which is good, as parts for this otherwise bullet-proof machine are all but nonexistent.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Here's some photos of poly tires that I snapped in 2012. I replaced these tires with rubber tires. They've deteriorated into pieces now. I kept them as samples for show and tell. If you choose to drink the polyurethane tire cool-aid, then don't be surprised if you have trouble, particularly if you don't glue them on.

One big question I've not been able to get good answers to is WHY do glued on rubber tires last for decade after decade.

1 tires - 1.jpg
1 tires - 2.jpg
1 tires - 3.jpg
1 tires - 4.jpg

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Here's some photos of poly tires that I snapped in 2012. I replaced these tires with rubber tires. They've deteriorated into pieces now. I kept them as samples for show and tell. If you choose to drink the polyurethane tire cool-aid, then don't be surprised if you have trouble, particularly if you don't glue them on.

One big question I've not been able to get good answers to is WHY do glued on rubber tires last for decade after decade.

View attachment 187107View attachment 187108View attachment 187109View attachment 187110

If you ever have to replace a glued on tire, how much effort goes into cleaning up the wheel?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Where were these tires and what band saw them explode?
The band saw these tires explode just as they flipped the switch to start the music. It was the “Woodshop” band and they had to send the audience home and re-schedule the show for a later date, depending on when the UPS man shows up from the Grizzly Bear.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think the glued on tires last longer because they can't slide. I have seen tires slide when the saw stats up.
Sliding stretches the tire which over time weakens it, then at some point it stretches a little too much and the blade chews it up.

Glueing the tire makes it more stable, less wear, no stretching, no chance to bunch up and fail.

The poly tires on my Rikon are over ten years old and still look like new.
I rolled the edge back and put a little spot of WeatherStrip adhesive every few inches when it was new.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS