What's on your table saw fence right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faber

New User
faber
I always have a bunch of junk on there, but a few really useful things that I like to keep nearby:

- 4" engineer's square
- 123 block - if you have never seen these, they are super handy. Perfectly machined blocks measuring exactly 1" x 2" x 3" and are great to use as a 1" offset when you're doing crossgrain cuts on a sled so you can just set your fence to 1" + cut size and register off the block.
- calipers (I chase 1/1000"'s way too much)
- combination square
- probably a cutoff that will be in the way at some point
- a few pennies and washers I use to raise a track up when making sleds/jigs

What useful things do you keep on your saw fence? Or does the ideas of a cluttered fence make you uneasy?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Nothing there on the fence except for the Board Buddy mounts. Don't like the idea of something falling off and hitting a spinning blade and then flying around the shop in an uncontrolled manner.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My fence is only one inch wide. Doesn't even collect sawdust.

My measuring tools live in a cabinet on the wall, only way I can find them when I need them.

I learned about a month after I turned sixteen if I want to use my car I need the keys, they started living in my pocket right then. When I get home they go in a tray on my desk.

Finally started following that rule in the shop, certain things live in certain places. They may visit other places for a very short time but always go right back home.

faber

New User
faber
Well this question was way less fun than I thought it would be. Guess I'll go clean up my shop now in shame.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Faber, watch the Carl Jacobson youtube video on restoring an old chair he put out a few weeks back. It shows him using his table saw and his fence is covered in all kinds of stuff, nuts and bolts, etc. should make you feel better :)

redknife

New User
Chris
Nothing on the fence. Extension table area has 1:2:3 block for left side sled, right side keep, start against block, fence at x+1". 2 grippers.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't know what's on my saw right now - it's in Ohio (my brother has it). I think that my niece has hijacked it and I wll only see it when I visit him. :wsmile:

It's still in the family though and that's what counts.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I keep a pencil, a Kreg 6" measuring tool / square thingie, and a Kreg push stick. I have a beismeyer clone that has a recessed area that makes me feel safe storing these items there. It may be an artificial sense of security.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
Glad you didn't ask whats on the other side

Ain't that the truth. Even though I do not place items on my table saw fence (anymore), I can say I put all kinds of things right of the fence. Push sticks, pencils, 123 block, knife, box cutter, painters tape, glue ,more pencils.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
Yoyo, short broken measuring ruler, allen wrench for adjusting the fence squareness, spare splitter, blade height tool. No pencil although I try to keep one there but usually forget to put it back.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I keep a m#2 Phillips and #2 flat blade screwdriver on the fence, because I frequently use them for jig adjustment and sacrificial fence installation and.removal. The remote for the ceiling mounted laser line generator that shows my table saw cut line on the surface of anything that I'm cutting is also there. Although not accurate enough to truly follow for cutting, the red line does help for lining up long rip cuts, since it shows on the stock surface way before the stock reaches saw and the fence. It's also a nice safety feature, especially when blind non-through and dado cutting. If there should ever be a red line on my fingers, they are in the wrong place. The one button remote is credit card size and is held in place on the top of the saw fence with Velcro. There is also one wooden push/hold down stick kept there for backup, should I ever need it while cutting something. I'm a heavy user of Grrippers, so this wooden push/hold down stick only very rarely gets used. I also try to keep a pencil there, but habit usually puts it in my shirt pocket about 10 times a day. I sometimes have my Wixey height gauge there too, but the Unifence is cast and extruded aluminum, so it doesn't stay there well. When not there, it is magnetically stuck to the front of the electric breaker panel on the wall just to the right of the saw table.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors