What wood would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have been asked to make a new rail for a rocker. The rail is just over 32" and 1 1/4" thick. It is painted so no need to match grain and stain. Thinking white oak but open.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have been asked to make a new rail for a rocker. The rail is just over 32" and 1 1/4" thick. It is painted so no need to match grain and stain. Thinking white oak but open.

Rail? Are we talking crest? or a rocker? What part of the chair is this "rail" ?

Jerry

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Maybe I used the wrong word. It is the curved piece on the bottom that rocks.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
A teenager was fooling around and stepped on the back of the rail when someone was rocking forward. Snapped right where it connects. Broke so bad that glue and screws is not an option.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Thanks Scott for clearing that up for me. Now------I have used red oak and white oak. Both are strong enough to do the job but white oak is considered the stronger IIRC. Ash or hickory would be a good choice also. Good straight grain is important in any of the species. Good luck with the replacement.

Jerry

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Scott, if you're replacing a rocker it might be tough to get the radius to match because of spring-back, even with bent lamination. I would suggest replacing both of them. It's no more work, just make one wide one and then rip it. I would think that if you're using bent lamination, any wood that's hard enough to resist denting will work as the lamination itself will increase strength.

John

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My personal preference here is ash; its straight grain is noted for its strength without breaking. White oak is second choice, but both great for the rockers.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ash, white oak, hard maple, or hickory will work. It can be made from a single board (36" l x 7-8" w x 1.2-2" t) with a jig saw or bandsaw.

Rocker_blank.jpg

Rocker blanks are also available from VanDyke Restorers in oak and maple. They have about a 4" rise like the above drawing.

https://www.vandykes.com/rocking-chair-runner-adult-small/p/204420/

Attachments

• Rocker blank.skp
    41.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Rocker blank.jpg
    Rocker blank.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors