What to do with old planer head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I recently upgraded my 20" Yorkcraft YC-20P planer with a Byrd Shelix cutter head ... but now I have this four-knife head just sitting here. Not sure what to do with it ... just store it, sell it, or toss it? It's one HEAVY paperweight! Opinions welcome.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You know the Murphy's Law answer...

If you keep it, it will always be in the way. You will cut yourself moving it around several times over the course of the next few years...

If you get rid of it, something will go awry with the Byrd the day you need to plane a bunch of boards and don't have time to wait for a replacement...

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
You know the Murphy's Law answer...

If you keep it, it will always be in the way. You will cut yourself moving it around several times over the course of the next few years...

If you get rid of it, something will go awry with the Byrd the day you need to plane a bunch of boards and don't have time to wait for a replacement...

What he said.

JohnW

New User
John
Jeremy,
I have an extra brand new Yorkcraft jointer fence collecting dust...all we need is a base, infeed and outfeed sections & motor and we could piece together another jointer. Sell it and split the profit. They we could buy a couple burgers & beers.

I've held on to this for +8 years, had to move it many times (it's heavy) and wish I'd thrown it away +8 years ago.

Anyone want it?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
You might as well give eBay a try. Given the limited market and price to ship a heavy item like that, it will probably be hard to sell....

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The knives can be either reused as is, or cut down to a different length. Most any sharpening service will do this. Post the size of knives (We already know they are 20":rotflm:.)

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
I would love to have this problem. I would build a jointer if I had something like this lying around. A 20" jointer would be a beauty to behold.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The knives can be either reused as is, or cut down to a different length. Most any sharpening service will do this.

I certainly won't toss the knives, I'm sure they still have value. I have three sets of four knives that are 20" x 1" x 1/8" ... all used, but in pretty darn good shape. Probably will get those listed sooner than later for a few bucks.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Jeremy, over on the OWWM site, there are a lot of folks that get an old jointer with either square head or clam shell head on it. Neither one is particularly safe, so they get a head from a bigger machine and turn down the ends to fit their bearings, which may be babbitt. Your head would fit on a 12 or 16" jointer after it was machined, so there would be some interest in it.

Roy G

bwat

New User
Bill
We have a lot of dead weight so could all bring them to the picnic to be sold for scrap to benefit NCWW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS