What to do with 2x2x6 Ipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschoolboy

New User
Josh
I have quite a few left over 2x2x6 feet long Ipe lumber from a deck i built. What can I make with these left overs or should I just sell it?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
How about plant stands for your new deck? Many, many types to see by googling outdoor plant stands.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
railing balusters, inserts in the balusters, Think Jim think! :gar-La;:gar-La; LEGS for Berta's side table

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Incredibly hard stuff so stock up again on carbide tools.

Josh, what's your experience working with Ipe? A piece of cake or a PITA? Just curious.

bwat

New User
Bill
Had a similar question with unused ipe so I made it into a cutting board. It was too heavy to be used!

oldschoolboy

New User
Josh
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Working with Ipe wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be but I also did minimal cutting (bought long boards so I didn't have butt joints in my deck). Carbide blades as a must and they need to be sharp other than that I made sure the dust collection system was working the best I could and wore a mask to avoid inhaling the dust. I also wore gloves to eliminate the splinters.

Remembering the seal the end grain and give it time to dry before you stick you hand on it was a pain just because sealing end grain is not a habit of mine.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Working with Ipe wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be

Not with power and carbide at your disposal. Try it with hand tools or even carbon steel blades. I dulled a new band saw blade in about a minute cutting that stuff. It would barely cut poplar afterward.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Rick - I discovered the harder the wood the less of a rake (tooth hook angle) is required. I found this out by experimentation sawing up black locust logs. A brand new blade would smoke on the first cut. I took it over to the sharpener and ground the blade at 2 degree rake - it worked like a charm.

You gotta remember... Bandsaw blades are ground for "all purpose" so will work well for most stuff but may need to be tweaked for some stuff...

Technical goorp for you that are smart ---> http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2513/NREM-5046web.pdf

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors