what oil for hand plane maintenance?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
thanks for all the terrific comments! I think I'm going to order some Camellia oil from Smile.Amazon.com and see how that goes. This is why I love this community so much!
You will like it Michael - I overpaid for bought some at Woodcraft and when I finish with a plane, I pull it apart and put a light spray on everything - no issues with oil transfer.
Oh, Dr. Bob's post made me remember that I forgot to mention that all my tools are in a non-climate controlled garage, and the planes stay rust-free (as long as I remember to spray them!

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I keep a bottle of Jojoba on hand.

But truthfully, keeping my planes in a climate controlled room I rarely every use it.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Mike I use pneumatic tool oil on the iron planes from time to time. I am always putting Johnson's floor paste wax on the sole to make work go smoother. My shop gets humid and I do get a little rust but steel wool takes it right off. If you are like most of the folks here you are more in the storage preservation mode than a heavy user like me. I would think Marvel Mystery Oil from Advanced Auto would do the trick.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Does it smell like Hoppes?

Interesting, the other day the wife mentioned that she likes the smell of Hoppes. I know sometimes we joke about such things, but ironically, she was dead serious.

I used to be totally indifferent about the Hoppes smell, but now I really cannot stand to smell it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was on a gun forum and they suggested mobile 1 as opposed to Hopps or remoil, but I think that is out for us because there may be things in a synthetic oil that would not be "friendly" to wood or finishes... not sure, just guessing

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS