What moron designed this!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
So a bit back I got a chuck set for my lathe. Needed it today. Chuck is actually fine for my total rookie skills but, they clearly don't drug test their case designers. Who is this? PSI of course.

Chuck key won't clear wrench, hole for adapter too small and assembled chuck too tall for the case.

Attachments

• 20240210_154004.jpg
    20240210_154004.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 20240210_154014.jpg
    20240210_154014.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 195

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
What was supplied. Allen fits, chuck fits. No idea what the other positions in the lid were supposed to hold. Looks like another Horrible Freight hard box is in store.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You didn't read the instructions, You are supposed to cut the red handle down so the chuck fits..... it is one of those You get to complete our design tool......... :rolleyes:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
This kind of sloppiness actually dampens an otherwise OK tool. As I am still a disaster on the lathe, going for a top quality chuck and for that matter a top quality lathe, is not on the books. So much to learn.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
This kind of sloppiness actually dampens an otherwise OK tool. As I am still a disaster on the lathe, going for a top quality chuck and for that matter a top quality lathe, is not on the books. So much to learn.
Ah, understand. But learning with inferior tools makes it much harder.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ah, understand. But learning with inferior tools makes it much harder.
I absolutely agree, if you can't trust the tool, you don't know if it is the tool or you. In the case of dovetail saws, it was the tool AND me. Florp saw and I was able to correct the "me" part. On the spokeshaves, similar issue. I could not make any progress learning until I fixed the tool. Flat sole at least. Still working on the curved. In this instance the tool works fine. It is the stupidity of not designing a case for the parts they sold in it.

My problem is I have not had enough practice in the basic lathe work. Made a mess of a bit of splatted maple I was trying to make a bowl from. I am wondering if one of my problems is the rest is too low. I may be going too slow out of fear. I also have had trouble with the drive spur slipping.

Yea, one screw in the smaller sets of jaws, but they fit in machined slots on the internal parts, so very secure. Larger jaws have two screws per jaw.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
So a bit back I got a chuck set for my lathe. Needed it today. Chuck is actually fine for my total rookie skills but, they clearly don't drug test their case designers. Who is this? PSI of course.

Chuck key won't clear wrench, hole for adapter too small and assembled chuck too tall for the case.
But it's made from genuine Red ChiTanium!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I dont get how this in any way detracts from the actual tool and its useage.
I doesn't. I said the tool is fine. It detracts from putting it away as the chuck does not stay on my lathe all the time.
It does make you think, if they don't care or don't look, what else don't they care or look at? Lastly, I paid for a storage case and basically did not get one.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Was it all packaged inside that box when you received it? If so, it seems you didnt put it away correctly. Its no different than disassembling a socket set and putting away all the possible parts when youre done, is it?.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Was it all packaged inside that box when you received it? If so, it seems you didnt put it away correctly. Its no different than disassembling a socket set and putting away all the possible parts when youre done, is it?.
Please go back and look at the pictures.
I think we beat this to death already.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors