What i learned this weekend....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I came to a startling discovery this weekend while working on my new sideboard project. I'm not a big fan of milling my lumber. This is the first project I've started from 100% rough lumber. Mainly it's my crappy benchtop 6" Crapsman jointer. Trying to mill long boards on this 'toy' is a nightmare! The Dewalt planer is fine, but doesn't do you much good if you can't flatten a board well with a jointer. **** jointer shoots sawdust out like a tornado as well, no DC yet. I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get a twisted board flat and basically gave up. Honestly, I'd rather pay the $5 or so to have them mill my boards at the lumber yard. Does this make me a bad woodworker? It's just that I'd rather spend my what little time I have being productive. Just a little rant.

On the other hand, the project is coming along. I'll post some pixs when it's done. The Domino was put to very good use this weekend. Joined a large carcasse and some panel frames in a jiffy. Great tool especially for the time restricted. Love it! :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Peter trying to work with tools that aren't cut out for the job can be very frustrating at the least. That doesn't make you a bad woodworker, just human. What makes a good woodworker is coming up with another way to get the job done, whether it be outsourcing or rigging up a jig to flatten the stock in your planer.
Post some pictures of your progress, as well as the finished project, a lot can be learned from WIP pics. I look forward to seeing what you are working on, you have a great eye for design.
Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I had a small crapsman jointer that I kept trying to use (It was usless to even try) and it almost drove me crazy before my wife got me a 6" ridgid, and that made MORE then a world of difference its so easy now, its great.

DavidF

New User
David
Sometimes you just need to get what you need! making a rig for the jointer is possibility, but being able to work with rough lumber will pay for the jointer over the next few projects with the decreased cost versus prepped stuff.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
IMO, the problem with prepped stuff is that it hasn't acclimated to the environment in your shop and is likely to twist anyway.

FWW had a planer sled to flatten wood a while back that you may want to check out.

Does getting your wood presurfaced make you a bad woodworker? Nah, I think it means you recognize what you have to work with and are doing the best you can. I have had to do it a couple of times myself, so you do what you have to do. Just remember, every time you do it, that is money that could have went towards getting a good jointer.

rhett

New User
rhett
Travis makes a very good point. While S2 lumber is pre planed, that doesn't make it flat, regardless of where you buy it. It does take alot of work to mill your own lumber, and if your not enjoying what your doing chances are you won't do it for very long. Pick your battles wisely.

Sabre2

New User
Sabre2
Sometimes you just need to get what you need! making a rig for the jointer is possibility, but being able to work with rough lumber will pay for the jointer over the next few projects with the decreased cost versus prepped stuff.

How true! I quit trying to justify a purchase for my woodworking. Believe me I'm not rich by any means. If I "THINK" I need something I'll find a way to get it. Or just do the american thing and throw down the plastic. I just ordered a Grizzly G0453 15" planer and a Shelix head. I have upgraded a piece of equipment each year for the last 3 years. First a used Unisaw, then an 18" band saw and this year the planer. Nothing wrong with my 13" Ridgid planer, but I wanted to up grade and have a planer that will last at least as long as I do:-D

Hang in there and up grade when able. With all the descent prices on 8" joiners maybe you will be able to pick up a used 6"

Gary

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Working with a small jointer is frustrating on stock of any length. I can see from your work that you have a good eye for the right lines and can imagine the frustration working with a short bed. FWIW, twisted stock is generally best left for side rails or short frame members.

It is possible to shim stock on the jointer infeed to choose your angle of attack. I use VERY thin, short shavings to set the face alignment to minimize the number of passes needed to get a flat reference for planing. Once a few inches pass through the cutterhead the reference plane is set and the outfeed now becomes the reference surface.

If you're trying to surface stock much over 4 feet long it's a tough proposition with a short infeed table. I started with a Craftsman 6 inch jointer and it was set up just fine...made great joints, just a PITA on longer stock. I upgraded to an 8 inch and the benefits are worth the cost. I try to get in ONE machine upgrade per year.

I am NOT a fan of S2S stock but likely because the stuff I have gotten pre-surfaced was always planed both sides, NOT face jointed then planed.

Chuck

dtomasch

New User
David
Peter...
Just give me a call. I've got a pretty nice jointer planer etc. Just a 15 min trip and it's yours for the using

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Peter,

I'll second Dave T' offer. I'm here in Asheville (Up Town Mountain Rd) and I have a brand new 8" Griz and a 13" DeWalt planner (plus Unisaw, & 14" Powermatic band saw). Give me a call a book some shop time.

Dan C.

dadofcmrs

New User
Chris
I think that we all have been in your shoes before. That is the beauty of woodworking, just when you have all the tools you need, it is time to upgrade or update. My wife hates it. I sold my 6" delta bench top for the same reason that you are frustrated about. It was great when all I was doing was crafts, but when it came to furniture... Good luck on the crossroads.:BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors