What do you guys think of this drill attachment? (new invention)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisaghemo

New User
Cris
http://www.bullseyebore.com/

Description: a type of laser targeting attachment for drills - keeps you centered, drilling straight and supposedly gives depth guide clues.

From what I've read they're still in the funding/partnering stage, but I'm curious - as people with a collectively large amount of experience using drills, how usefull would you find this gadget?
I originally thought it looked interesting and useful but the more I looked, the more I started thinking that for the majority of times I was drilling it would get more in the way than provide any benefit as the mount the lasers are on would interfere when working.
Opinions?

Len

New User
Len
Can't see it being much help in a tight corner, or running a hole through a stud that already has a wall up on one side. There's also a potential for a friction burn on the wrist of a hand holding a piece in place on saw horse.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
When I was researching how to drill decent vertical holes for benchdogs in my workbench I might have considered something like this. Not sure what other uses would require this kind of accuracy.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I think I'd be trying to look through that disk. Putting my head far enough to the side to see around that disk pretty much guarantees I couldn't hold the drill vertical without the device. When the pattern shows the most distortion you are so far off vertical that it is obvious without that device. From the video I thought minor deviations from vertical weren't really all that obvious in the pattern. For me I don't think that thing is actually real world useful.

If I need to drill vertical holes with a hand drill I'd just make a guide by drilling a vertcal hole through a piece of scrap on my drill press using the same drill bit and use that. There are inexpensive metal bushings you use so the jig doesn't wear out as fast if you need to drill more than a few holes.

I'll pass on that laser gadget.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
The old CD trick works as well and it's essentially free.

drill-guide-cd.jpg

gritz

New User
Robert
I have an older electric drill with a bulls-eye bubble in the butt end. I dig it out when I need to drill a vertical hole in a horizontal surface...won't work on a vertical surface or angle though.

crisaghemo

New User
Cris
If you're concerned about such things - this is a much simpler solution to drilling at a particular angle. I have one, rarely use it. But it has worked on the occasions I needed that kind of accuracy of angle.

http://www.rockler.com/portable-drill-guide

Not really interested in it for myself. It was highlighted on a tech blog I read and I thought it looked cool. But on second and third thoughts I started to wonder if it was actually useful or not. That's when I thought to ask on here. Figured this would be a perfect place to get experienced views on the subject in case I was missing something.
Seems to be that most are of the same mindset. No real use in practice.

ehpoole

Ethan
If you're concerned about such things - this is a much simpler solution to drilling at a particular angle. I have one, rarely use it. But it has worked on the occasions I needed that kind of accuracy of angle.

http://www.rockler.com/portable-drill-guide

I have an alternative style to yours for occasional use. However, when I need perfectly straight holes and can not use my drill press then more often use scrap pieces of wood to make drill guides -- drill a perfect hole of the desired diameter in the scrap using the drill press, then use those guide blocks to ensure all the subsequent holes are drilled perfectly straight when drilling freehand away from the drill press.

ehpoole

Ethan
I love it and would use it often. Just not for woodworking.

Torturing the kitties, are we? Poor little things, running round and round in a 5" circle trying to catch the dot!

(I suspect I know what you really had in mind, but this thought made me chuckle.)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a guide similar to Kens. I think I used it a year or so ago. My Shopsmith is spending it's life as a drill press. It has a large table and can do things a normal drill press can't so I can do most of my drilling on it.

Pop

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have 2 bullseye bubble levels on my drill. One on the top for horizontal holes and one on the rear for vertical. ~$3 for 6 on Ebay and no need for batteries.

Weekendworrior

New User
Bill
Torturing the kitties, are we? Poor little things, running round and round in a 5" circle trying to catch the dot!

(I suspect I know what you really had in mind, but this thought made me chuckle.)

Ok, you got a giggle out of me.

In the automotive field, industrial repair, or machine repair.............this would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS