What do you apply to your hand tools to keep them from rusting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
I thought that just moistening a rag with Camilla oil and wiping down my hand planes, chisels and saws after use was all I needed to do. However, when I do this and leave the tool be for a few days or more it gets all gummy. 3-1 oil doesn't seem to do this but I'm not crazy about getting that stuff all over my hands. Any other solutions out there?

Thanks,
Dan

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I use paste wax. It works ok but I don't get into a twist about a little rust on my tools.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I think about it I wipe the planes with Ballistol, also mineral oil is scent free and does not get gummy.
Wax works if you can get good coverage without a heavy buildup. Mixing wax with mineral oil is a common solution.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
How about WD-40? I buy it by the gallon & use a pump spray gun. It is a decent lub. & it keeps water/moisture off your tools. That's what it was really invented to do. That "wd" is for water displacement and that was the 40th formula they came up with.

Pop
:widea:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
WD-40 is one of those things you do every couple of weeks. WD-40 also evaporates much slower in a closed environment such as a tool chest, drawer etc.

Pop

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Mobil 1 5-20 weight motor oil. I use an oil moistened cloth in a jar and the "rag-in-a-can" process. The Mobile 1 has very little odor and doesn't feel oily in use of the tool when used with such a light application/coating.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I use CRC 3-36 on hand tools, power tools and any metal surface I want protected from rust. It has worked great for me for years.

Gilley23

New User
Bryan
I use Kroil for #### near everything that I can. It penetrates and breaks loose stuck together parts better than anything else I've used. I also use it to clean my firearms.

Newboy

George
User
Keep some of the original Thompson’s Water Seal in a spray bottle. It dries leaving a super thin wax coating. Not wet, not sticky, won’t stain the wood you cut next. When I lived on the coast, I sprayed anything metal before I put it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Keep some of the original Thompson’s Water Seal in a spray bottle. It dries leaving a super thin wax coating. Not wet, not sticky, won’t stain the wood you cut next. When I lived on the coast, I sprayed anything metal before I put it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ever had fisheye from the silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS