What color workshop floor would you do?

Roger45

Roger
Corporate Member
I battled the same question 5 years ago and now looking back I’m glad the final discussion was don’t worry about the floor. The floor now has more spills and issues then I can count. My heart would have been fighting to keep the floor clean instead of just working in the shop.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. I'll decide shortly when they say they're ready to do it.

Red

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
Hi
I know I am a bit late to this thread, but the color I choose was Dutch Boy Porch and Floor Tile Red. The paint was put down after all the walls, HVAC, and electrical was completed, no tools etc. The floors were scrubbed with TSP and rinsed several times. It was rolled on. It has been down since 2005. The floor is 5" concrete with a R9 insulation under it. I have attached some pictures, two are of the highest use, the entrance to the shop and entrance to the office. The color does not show up well on the close shots, but the overhead ones give a better color view. There has been no flaking, only places where concrete show through is where I dropped something and it chipped the floor.

Reason for Tile Red is two fold. All my walls and ceilings (10') are white so some contrast was needed for my eyes. Second, a dull red shows up things that are dropped. I do a lot of metal working, so small parts or screws etc can be seen very easily.

After 18 years it is a bit scuffed up but is still fully serviceable, very easy cleanup just wipe up spills oil or otherwise. No different than unpainted, you still have to at least wipe it up or track it allover.

Bob
Shop-Entrance-EM.jpg
Shop-Floor-Office-Ent-EM.jpg
TILE-RED_P_09.27.21.jpg
Installation-Complete-Thread-EM1.jpg
Metal-Working-Shop Floor-EM.jpg

Last edited:

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
Never thought of red and it does make sense on an old war ship but mine are all a light gray not much different than the original concrete.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Heavy rubber barn mats only come in black. They do make finding dropped screws and small parts fairly easy.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I did mine with Rust Bullet silver over the raw concrete. It has held up exceptionally well. No issues with chipping like epoxy.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Think about trying to find a small nut or bolt when it falls on the floor. What color will contrast best with that? Speaking from experience, that is why speckling is a terrible choice. 😁 Gray, while not glamorous, is a good choice for that reason.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Light gray. Easy to spot dropped objects, and the light color helps to keep the shop brighter. Tan if you don't like seeing sawdust. A lighter color on the floor helps to reflect light up under shelves and work tables, even if you have some dark fatigue matting in places. That gray/beige also looks good to me.

For something a little different, seafoam green also works. After having painted gallons upon gallons of it when I worked in missile silos, I personally can't stand the color, but others may like it.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Years back now one member here inadvertently "chose" to experiment with a lovely peach color.... aesthetically perhaps not the best option although it still comes up on the site from time to time.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS