What are the chances this falls apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
What are the chances this falls apart? Started this last weekend. I know this isn't the best joinery work, but, well, I just did it anyway.

Joints glued up and used brads to hold together till dry, then drilled 3/8" holes and added 2 dowels per joint.

Just curious what your thoughts are on how this will hold up as a base for a 1 seat bench.

base legs.JPG

Original plan was to use this piece of Walnut as the seat, but the base seemed oversized for the seat.
base.JPG

So I made a new one with my white oak stock and some thin strips of walnut glued up on the edges.

bench top.JPG

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've done a few things that way and they held up quite well. Your project should hold up as well as long as it doesn't get wet or left outside.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It should be fine, David. Curious. What are the dimensions (l x w) of the bench and what will it be used for?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The butt joints w/ dowels will be fairly strong. My only concern is the same as Jim's: racking. Depending on how much actual use this piece gets, that may or may not be an issue. The only option at this point would be to add some type of corner bracing, and that would distract from the otherwise clean lines.

One option if you were doing it again is some type of inter-locking joints (e.g. dovetails, finger joints, etc.). That might give a little more side-to-side stability.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
How are you going to prevent the legs from racking? That's really the only thing I see.
Assume you are talking about left to right movement? Hadn't really thought about that as an issue, but now see the potential. The 'legs' are about 3.5" wide. Thickness is 7/8" or there about. Bench top is about 1.25" thick.

On securement to prevent the racking, I'm open to suggestions. Was planning to use 3-4 heavy gauge screws that are offset to provide more strength.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
It should be fine, David. Curious. What are the dimensions (l x w) of the bench and what will it be used for?
The top is about 16-17" deep and 30"-36" long. Honestly, I just grabbed two pieces and glued them up. Didn't even measure.

Was planning to take it to work and put it in my office space. It is fairly narrow (about 8'). I have a side chair, and it takes a lot of room, so thought this could sit closer to the wall and provide a little more space to walk around. It's not going to get a lot of use, but will be used daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors