What a dolt am I!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Changed the blade on my bandsaw y'day to do a little curve work. Found it hard to use and that it was burning a lot. Strange, methought, is the blade dull? Checked it and it wasn't dull. Threw another board at it and same result. What is going on here?

You guessed it - put it on upside down. It sure works a whole lot easier when it is mounted correctly. Small miracle that it cut anything when it was installed backwards. Oh wait - it gets better! Never thought to check the bearings, but especially the thrust bearing. Why is this blade (now installed correctly) vibrating so strangely? Oh wait - you mean I have to adjust for it?

Makes me think I don't do enough bandsaw work - wouldn't you say? BION, the dang blade survived my stupidity ... :BangHead:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I deliberately install the blade on my band saw backwards in lieu of doing a panel glue up. Just take the two boards, unrip them across the backward blade, and boom - fused into a single panel. Works every time. If you use a featherboard, it eliminates the need for biscuits for alignment.

:gar-La;

Yeah, I wish that were true. Then I wouldn't have felt so stupid when I put the blade on backward either...

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It also removes the burrs from the back corners so the blade won't be as prone to widening the kerf on tight curves. Yeah, that's it - that's wy I do it...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've only had a bandsaw for a little while...and only changed blades a few times. Now that I'm done laughing at you guys, there's a pretty good chance I'll put the next one on backwards...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
so you bought a left handed blade huh?:rotflm: guess you have to return it now:roll:.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
[GLOW="BTDT"]BTDT[/GLOW]
Just this week I reversed two chippers in my stacked dado set and was wondering what had happened to my nice flat bottomed dado!:BangHead::BangHead:

But. I have an excuse......I'm over 60!!!:gar-Bi

Hope you didn't get bitten while reversing the blade. Bandsaw blades and my hands are not the best of friends!

Wayne

RayH

New User
Ray
Equal enjoyment and success is possible if you let the blade "unfold" inside-out -- that way the teeth face the correct way, but point upward:eusa_doh: Maybe if I reverse the leads on the motor it will run backward.:slap: DAMHIKT

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Glad to see I'm not the only one on here that is sometimes challenged in the shop. But I'm old too !!!!! Yep that sounds like a good reason.

MichaelCurtis

New User
Michael
I'll go you one better. I called Grizzly to complain that the teeth on my band saw blade were made backwards and could I get a replacement blade drop shipped ASAP.

To their credit, they didn't laugh their asses off while I could hear them. That's the second most embarrassing phone call I've ever made. No amount of money could get me to tell the story of the MOST embarrassing.

:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS