Western NC "Elves Efforts"

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

The Western NC Woodworkers Association decided to make some toys for needy kids in the Asheville area this year and, although we got started somewhat late, we did succeed in making and delivering some nice ones just in time for a Christmas Party being held by an Asheville charity called Hearts with Hands for a big group of disadvantaged kids. Several members were involved, including Mtrager (Mitch) and TMerrill (Tim) and yours truly. Here are some of the fruits of our labor.

Tim designed this prototype Doll Cradle and made 160 of them on his ShopBot. We bought Teddy Bears and wrapped each one in a small blanket tied with a ribbon for some little girls...

100_4858.jpg

Mitch Trager made a bunch of these cute little Doll School Desks -- you'll find the plans in our Download Library

100_5268.jpg

After I milled endless pieces of poplar, white oak and ash, and Tim made wheels and the pull yokes on his ShopBot, a team of six of us spent several days assembling 45 of these wagons for young boys...

100_5234.jpg

Here's Tim smiling because we're done with a lengthy assembly process and half of the wagons are in my truck, helping give some of his shop space back!

100_5235.jpg

Here's my contribution -- I made 11 of these delightful Hounds -- this guy must be on the lookout for ScottM's mice! If any of you are interested, the plans are in the book "How to Make Animated Toys" by David Wakefield, which we bought on Amazon.com. Lots of work, but a delightful toy.

100_5265.jpg

Monday was delivery day -- here are some of us in front of our efforts -- from left: Tim Merrill, Ed Heeg, Walt Tolley and me. Thanks to Jerry Grant (Purple Thumb) for help in delivery and three generous wood contributors: Sanders Woodworking (thank you Steve), Mountain Sawyers (thanks, Wes and Steve), and Mountain Showcase Cabinets of Hendersonville (thanks Chris Casto). I just wish we could have seen those kids faces that evening, but in our hearts, we know they were all smiling!

100_5261.jpg

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
:swoon: Great work :icon_thum:notworthy::notworthy:I am sure they where well received:icon_thum

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap It is a wonderful jesture that you folks did. I don't consider these projects as fine wood working but they are truely the FINEST WOOD WORKING WE CAN EVER DO!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

P.S. I will be adding the mice plan to the download library.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Great work. I bet you all got a lot of enjoyment out of the process knowing it was going to make a nice Christmas for the kids, that might not get anything else. Bravo!!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Rob,

Those are some great news and an amazing gesture!

Thanks for everything you all did!

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Rob, I would like to thank you and the Western NC Woodworkers Association for all of your word you did for the needy kids. :eusa_clap I know that you all had fun doing it. :icon_thum

Danny

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Fantastic!
I'd like to see a finer example of woodworking and the spirit of Christmas.
Hats off to each of you~

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
No words can describe what this will mean to the kids that will receive these. Awesome gesture!! Merry Christmas to the kids!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors