Wen Rotary Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessebgordon

New User
Jesse
I know this tool has much less power than most of the tools discussed here, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Wen rotary tools? They're much cheaper than Dremel, and I've read mostly good reviews of them, though of course with a tool that is purchased as frequently as this there will be some duds that show up and people review accordingly. Mostly will use the tool for polishing frets for guitar repair.

The one specifically that I'm looking at is here: https://smile.amazon.com/WEN-2305-R...i&ie=UTF8&qid=1469723355&sr=1-1&keywords=2305.

ehpoole

Ethan
I can not speak specifically for the Wen brand as I have never tried one, but I have tried a number of other clear knockoffs of the Dremel rotary tool and accessories and, frankly, never found there to be much comparison. The knockoff tools always seemed to have a good deal more vibration and runout and seem to wear out or breakdown more frequently (though, in fairness, I have destroyed Dremels over the years too, but usually only when really pushing their limits) and I have never found knockoff accessories that were worth the savings (many grindstones, for example, seem to be made grossly out of balance and out of round). I guess you could compare them best to the Harbor Freight version of popular knockoff tools, a much lesser product than the original, but dirt cheap.

At the scale of a rotary tool and its accessories there is not a lot of room for excess runout or imbalance if they are to do their job well. Even the Dremels are not as good as they ought to be IMHO, but the knockoffs I have experimented with over the years were usually orders of magnitude worse than the typical Dremel (and especially versus a Dremel with minor modification). Whether Wen would be that one unique knockoff that matched the brand name competition, I can not say, but I would be very surprised if it did based upon past experiences. But then one may also not be nearly as particular about such details as I am, in which case the added savings may be enough to offset any negatives for that individual.

If you go ahead and make the purchase please consider posting a follow-up review after you have used it and the various accssories for several hours so that others may learn from your own experiences, good or bad (but, hopefully, good).

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Have you looked, better yet test drove a Proxxon? Comparing a Proxxon to a Dremel is like comparing a model T Ford to a Packard V 12. Check 'em out. Fine German engineering & craftsmanship. Their accessories are very well made and WORK. Trot over to your nearest Klingspore store and have a look.

Pop
:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS