Weather Station #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Several weeks ago I made a weather station for my daughter in CT. I just completed another one for my other daughter in San Francisco. Same design as the first but using recycled longleaf/heart pine and a normal clock instead of a tide clock. Instruments and the plan which I modified are from Klockit. Finish is 3 coats of brush on lacquer. The instrument board swivels to enable different viewing angles and access to the back of the instruments for adjustment. The hardest part of the project was constructing the box to ship it in. :gar-La; I am getting pretty good at cardboard box construction techniques, it is amazing what one can do with a razor and hot glue gun. :wsmile:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Very Nice!! I like the clock in addition to the weather instruments.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job, Glenn!:icon_thum I too think the addition of the clock makes it extra special.
Is this for the daughter who's car you are going to pick up?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice, Glenn!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Having the raised face to mount the instruments sure gives it depth. How thick was the stock that you worked with - 8/4?

I can't say that I have ever seen the clock in the same diameter as instruments.

Well done!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nice, Glenn!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Having the raised face to mount the instruments sure gives it depth. How thick was the stock that you worked with - 8/4?

I can't say that I have ever seen the clock in the same diameter as instruments.

Well done!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

The instrument board, standoffs, and backer board were all 4/4 which I planed down to 3/4. The instrument size was selected to match the diameter of the tide clock which I used in the first weather station. I modified the Klockit plans to accomodate the larger face sizes. :wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Nice job, Glenn!:icon_thum I too think the addition of the clock makes it extra special.
Is this for the daughter who's car you are going to pick up?

Yes it is, however the trip has become less time sensitive since the trip to the UK for her fell through. :wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice job, Glenn, very nice. :icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'd like to build something like that. Maybe we can discuss it over lunch on the 24th?

:wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
"The instrument board swivels to enable different viewing angles and access to the back of the instruments for adjustment. "
Glenn I didn't understand this line. What exactly swivels?

That is pretty nice. Really nice design and execution on that.
I got some parts from Klockit years ago. Hope your experience was half as good as mine with them. I really felt they did me right. Not sure why I stopped buying anything from them. Guess I can't remember the last catalog I got of theirs...

I enjoy (depend on)weather and its nice to see something besides just the temp.
Boys at work used to get a kick out of me every morning when I listened to the fire weather forecast. Finally one day they asked why I not only listened so intently but actually some days wrote it down. So we had a little weather class and what exactly weather forecast is as it relates to fire danger and fire behavior. Kinda funny they don't laugh anymore.

Glennbear

Glenn
"The instrument board swivels to enable different viewing angles and access to the back of the instruments for adjustment. "
Glenn I didn't understand this line. What exactly swivels?

That is pretty nice. Really nice design and execution on that.
I got some parts from Klockit years ago. Hope your experience was half as good as mine with them. I really felt they did me right. Not sure why I stopped buying anything from them. Guess I can't remember the last catalog I got of theirs...

I enjoy (depend on)weather and its nice to see something besides just the temp.
Boys at work used to get a kick out of me every morning when I listened to the fire weather forecast. Finally one day they asked why I not only listened so intently but actually some days wrote it down. So we had a little weather class and what exactly weather forecast is as it relates to fire danger and fire behavior. Kinda funny they don't laugh anymore.

The board holding the instruments is held off the backer board by the wooden standoffs at top and bottom. There are dowels which are not glued at one end pinning it to the standoffs hence the front board can swivel to 90 degrees enabling access to the rear of it. I should have taken a side view pic to show that the front board is not flush against the rear board. Perhaps this link to the Klockit description will help:
http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-366__sku-EEEEQ.html

I did not use their "kit" but bought their plan, modfied it, and used larger faced instruments. :wsmile:

p.s. - If you click on these pics, the dowel and the spacing between front and rear are more apparent, the original pics were HUGE !!! :gar-La;

KC7CN

New User
Don
Very nice Glenn. I'm sure your daughters will enjoy the weather stations as much as my two sons, and parents, enjoyed theirs. I did my own design - not to different from yours.

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors