Warped or Twisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey

New User
grey
I am fairly new to woodworking and this site. This site is a great resource, and I enjoy it immensely.
I have a question: I purchased some 8 qtr Sapele to make a desk, and I am taking it down to about 1 5/8. One piece (out of seven) is seriously warped or perhaps twisted. But when i clamp it down, I have it pretty square. If I joint it with #20 biscuits 5" apart, will the surrounding boards hold the one warped peice square, or will it exert too much pressure on the other boards? These are seven feet long and 4-7 inches wide. As I said earlier, they are 1 5/8" thick. The warped board at center is about 3/4 of an inch off.
Thanks,

Grey

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Grey. IMO I am afraid to say that if you include a warped/twisted board in your glue up it will probably translate to the other boards. But it's not a lost cause, depending on your attachment method (assuming that this is going to be the top) it might hold everything in place.
Things would work better if that board could be placed to the outside of the glue-up verse the middle. If you have a strong frame that will go under the top, an attachment method like Z-clips or L-shaped table-top buttons (both captured in a groove in the frame) can pull the top down flat. It is better to start out flat, but that is a hard thing to accomplish. If you can force it flat, run with it.

BTW, please drop by the Who We Are forum and give us all a little intro to yourself.

Dave:)

Grey

New User
grey
Thanks DaveO, I appreciate your response. I do plan to have it as the last piece; and a small hutch will cover most of the piece. I thought that may help. I have tossed around various ideas for the frame, and of course I will look into your suggestions if the top shows any signs of warping.

Thanks again,

Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS