Walnut....$1 per plank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Well hello again.

Charlie Wilson the Walnut man is getting desperate, he's gotta move the remaining lumber and is down to $1 per plank. Not per board foot, but per plank. The stuff is being loaded and moved tomorrow, Thursday, Dec. 2nd, and after it finds a new home, will keep it covered, but outside on trailers.

Many folks took advantage of his 50¢/bf price recently, but at $1 a plank, this is an even better deal.

Remember, you don't get to pick it over.

Call Charlie at 919-602-2559 if you're interested.

He's located just off Holden Road in Youngsville NC, which is about 20 miles north of Raleigh. I'm thinking of getting just enough for that kitchen table my kids want. Maybe Charlie will let me do a bit of picking since I'm his agent. Love to have a full 1" thickness for the table top.

manfre

New User
Manfre
If anyone in the Cary/Raleigh area is planning on heading up there for some planks, PM me if you'll have any extra room to transport some for me.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
To all who are interested,

You are going to have to go and look at this stuff yourself, I highly doubt that anyone will "pull" some for you. This wood has been highly picked over. I was there when it was $1/ bdft and the pile was 15,000 bdft.(last year), the boards were long and good. I was also there a few weeks ago when the pile was down to 3-5,000 bdft and had been picked through heavily and it took me over two hours to pick out 200 bdft, and I wasn't very picky.

The wood is old air dried walnut, and the best that it will be good for is small boxes, so don't go thinking that you'll find wood to make a kitchen table or something like that. Being fair to Charlie, the wood is well worth the price, as you can't find air dried walnut anywhere near this price. If you're local and have some free time, take a ride and check it out. Charlie's a nice guy and is nothing but fair, but realize that there is "No such thing as a free lunch" and you'll get what you pay for.

Good Luck hunting wood,

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Well, just got back from Charlie. For $15, I really believe I can build two dining tables. When you can buy 4x4x14' walnut for a buck a board, that's hard to turn down. About 1/3 of what I got will wind up in the wood stove, but the other 2/3 should turn out nicely If I don't get two tables, I surely have enough to build one. And at 14' of length for the 4x4 (16/4 if you must), cut into 7' sections allows enough waste for, I hope, four 30" legs per plank.

Unless you're prepared to transport 12-14' planks, carry an extension cord and skilsaw. After it's moved, you might need battery powered saw equipment. Or a chain saw.

Also, Charlie has a 15" Woodtek planer with accompanying dual bag dust collector for $750. Two strong men strained and groaned loading the planer on the truck.

Plus, there's a pile of "if you take it ALL, it's FREE." Lotta sapwood and splits and knots, but you could probably scavenge enough to build your own cremation urn. (How's that for an uplifting thought?)

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
...You are going to have to go and look at this stuff yourself....picked through heavily and it took me over two hours to pick out 200 bdft, and I wasn't very picky

Well, OK, I guess I'll cancel my offer to buy 50 planks sights unseen - wish I lived nearer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors