Voting for the BoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Everyone:

Although we did not discuss it last night, I noticed when revieweing the Bylaws that section 5.5.3. gives all members the same number of votes as there are Directors to be elected, and the members may distribute these votes as they see fit.

Consequently, a previous discussion we had about one vote/member is moot. We would have to propose this By-law change to the membership and have it pass before we could implement it. WE CANNOT make this change on our own.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I suggest that a proposed by-law change be made to the membership. I personally believe being able to cast 7 votes to only one, or a few, candidates can lead to an unfair result. As I have previously stated, you could have a fairly small number of members determine the election by block voting. This reminds me of LBJ's Texas, or Richard Daley's Chicago politics. It just doesn't pass the smell test. We can submit both proposed by-law changes (term limits) at the same time.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Sure is lonely here. I, obviously, have brought up something that most must feel doesn't need to be discussed.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Stuart, I think that you make a good point; I'd just like to sleep on this for a few days. I'd be curious as to what Steve's logic was in setting it up this way.

M

McRabbet

I agree with Stuart on this point -- I brought it up at our first BoD meeting last June and I honestly thinks it does need to be changed to one vote per candidate or one vote per issue.

I would recommend we combine the second and third sentences of 5.5.3 to read "Each member will be entitled to exercise as many votes as there are Directors to be elected and may cast up to one vote per candidate or abstain." The current third sentence should be deleted. And yes, this would require an Amendment approved by a vote of the members.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
OOPS. I, like Travis meant to respond and didn't. Stuart I do agree with your thoughts on this.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I have been out in Pinehurst, NC doing a triathlon. I will post my thoughts soon. But I agree it would be interesting to hear Steve's logic.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I spoke with Steve and he informed me that the present system of voting was one of about three he considered. There awas a recommendation for such asystem with a small voting membership. We can change it to one vote/member.

BTW: I was wrong. According to section 8 of the bylaws the BoD can make these changes to the bylaws without a vote of the membership!

I will draft a proposed amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS