Vinyls lettering for craft wood working projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I am looking at doing a few craft projects for the holidays that use the PVPP method with vinyl letters. I am looking for a machine to cut the different words I need. Specifically at Cricut or Silhouettes. Does anyone have experience with these? Do you have one now and how often do you use it?

Here is a video showing the technique in case you arent familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ZQHjUAIbo

If anyone has a machine they would be willing to let me borrow or rent for a few weeks that would be great as well.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Please let us know what you find. I have a project for which I'd like to do something similar with vinyl letters.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I am looking at doing a few craft projects for the holidays that use the PVPP method with vinyl letters. I am looking for a machine to cut the different words I need. Specifically at Cricut or Silhouettes. Does anyone have experience with these? Do you have one now and how often do you use it?

Here is a video showing the technique in case you arent familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ZQHjUAIbo

If anyone has a machine they would be willing to let me borrow or rent for a few weeks that would be great as well.

I have a Silhouette, and use it somewhat, a million people use it to do signs. Go with Silhouette, more popular than the Cricut, lot more info out there for that. lots of tutorials out there on how to use it.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a Silhouette, and use it somewhat, a million people use it to do signs. Go with Silhouette, more popular than the Cricut, lot more info out there for that. lots of tutorials out there on how to use it.
Are these things really only $250? How long does the blade(s) last when cutting vinyl? I may have to get one of these.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Are these things really only $250? How long does the blade(s) last when cutting vinyl? I may have to get one of these.

I've had a Silhouette for a couple of years now. If I remember correctly it was about $250. I only use it once or twice a year, so per use, it's pretty expensive. That said, I haven't find a better way to get lettering on wood. Unlike the video, I throw away the letters and use what's left as a stencil. The vinyl has a sticky back that adheres to the wood. Just dab the spaces where the missing letters were with paint, gold leaf size, or whatever else you're using. When the paint dries, remove the stencil and you're done. Here's the end result - hope it helps with your decision.

attachment.php

Attachments

• nameboard.JPG
    nameboard.JPG
    572.3 KB · Views: 229

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member

Nope, $196 on amazon :gar-Bi for $250 you get a bundle with extras you may or may not need. My bundle came with a set of pens for drawing, fabric knife, and a roller so I could use rolls of vinyl instead of sheets. Lifespan of blade is hard to judge, really depends on how much you use it, what material you cut, so forth, just like a saw blade. Blades run about $7 each, so not a big expense. Vinyl isn't expensive either, we have a local store here that sells by the sheet, I think around $5, but ordering online in bulk is cheaper.

Cool thing is they can cut more than vinyl. Paper, fabric and more. We've made a bunch of temporary tattoos for clients. Hey, there's another outreach project, temporary tattoo of NCWW logo for the kids when they make something.

Now if you want to make really big stencils, my sign company picked one of these up this year, 54 inch cutting width:

attachment.php

Attachments

• gr540.jpg
    gr540.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 217

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
The silhouette is quite handy for vinyl. You do have a height restriction of your lettering or image(12"). It should be able to cut what ever length you want to feed into it. You If yoy need tallee I would recommend looking into the larger format cutters or subbing out to a Printing company. The larger cutters run on different sofware so you aren't locked into a platform like Cricut and Silhouette.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
The silhouette is quite handy for vinyl. You do have a height restriction of your lettering or image(12"). It should be able to cut what ever length you want to feed into it. You If yoy need tallee I would recommend looking into the larger format cutters or subbing out to a Printing company. The larger cutters run on different sofware so you aren't locked into a platform like Cricut and Silhouette.

Silhouette software (well, the upgrade Business version but that runs like $50) will import designs designed in other programs, so you avoid the lock in. We design in Corel, and then import into the Silhouette software when we cut on that, or print to the large system thru an add-on in Corel or import into it's software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS