Videos for this weekend's class

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
We are making the tools for the class now, and will provide videos of those subroutines, but the initial series of videos about what will be taught is on CHESSSPY Youtube.

The big difference with lathe work is that you STAY AT THE LATHE. No work stations. The huge bulk of the work is done on the one machine.

Another difference is that we teach doing as many things as possible with a small handful of tools.

Tomorrow, each student is getting a gallon bag of stuff from us:

- sample piece to replicate
- 2 dowels for the bottom pieces (1 for Saturday; 1 for Sunday)
- 2 dowels for the lids (1 for Saturday; 1 for Sunday)
- 2 bone rods for the finials (1 for Saturday; 1 for Sunday)
- 1 chamois cloth impregnated with auto polisher stuff
- sandpaper
- wire wool
- pair of undercutting tools
- three-cornered tool
- parting off tool
- scoop tool
- skew

Each student gets a lathe. They are to stay there! We will bring drill bits & such, but basically the lathe with chuck, head, and glue chuck plus the stuff in the gallon bag is all that is needed for the two days.

Insofar as these classes go, anyone is welcome to come here and work with us. There is a lathe waiting. Just let us know you are coming. Otherwise, we will try to schedule a workshop a quarter or something like that? Think about it and let us know what you want.

The coast would be nice sometime........................................HINT!

Back to it. Milissa is cutting the grass in the front yard so we aren't Slob Neighbours this weekend and I am making videos & tools.

b4man

New User
Barbara
This is so fantastic!! I would give anything to be able to be there today! You and Melissa are wonderful for offering these classes. I have resisted the dark side for years but folks like you are making it harder to stay flat!:swoon: Good luck and please take photo's for us.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Alan, although I am closer to the coast (hint taken!) I just wanted to say that I've appreciated the unique skill set you bring to NCwoodworker and your willingness to share the knowledge. I'm a big proponent of 'open source' knowledge and I really appreciate acts such as this, as well as Mike Davis and Bill's workshop series. It's always nice to learn from an expert who is enthusiastic about sharing knowledge.

Now if we coastal plain NCWW'ers could just get Ernie to throw together a start-to-finish four or five hour workshop on how to build a Harpsichord from scratch!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Come **** or high water if you ever do this again I will be there.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Folks, I am tired, worn out really! I am so over flowing with new knowledge I feel like my head is going to pop.

I can barely move. Intensive is too mild a word for today.

And darned if I don't think I will go back in the shop right after I rest a while and have a big supper!

There should be pics later for all you shop voyeurs. It is much better being there.

When, not if, Alan and Milissa teach another turning workshop I will be there. They are unquestionably the best!

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
Thank you Mike, that's a real boost for us as I in particular am only just starting out on this teaching lark, (Milissa has years of uni level teaching creds to fall back on of course) So I learned more than you all did I'm sure and just like you we can only get better. Practice makes perfect.
Thanks to (Mike, our host) Phil, Berta and Gerry for being guinea pigs and slaving away almost uncomplainingly all day.
We are considering doing some regular courses here in our new small workshop, provisionally called, 'one day miracle workshops' because, not that it will be a miracle if we can shoehorn 4 students and 2 instructors into our place, but that we expect to perform miracles with beginning turners in one day.
So to all wood turning tyros, let us know if you are interested and we will see what can be done.

CHESSSPY

New User
Alan
This is so fantastic!! I would give anything to be able to be there today! You and Melissa are wonderful for offering these classes. I have resisted the dark side for years but folks like you are making it harder to stay flat!:swoon: Good luck and please take photo's for us.

THE DARK SIDE IS CALLING YOU, BARBARA......................................

YOU CAN NO LONGER STAY FLAT...................................

CHECK OUT THE BEGINNER'S INTENSIVE CHALLENGE CLASS............................................

IN "ANNOUNCEMENTS" HERE OR AT THE "CLASSES" LINK OF WWW.CHESSSPY.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS