Using stuff the way it wasn't meant to be used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I was thinking how many items used in glue-ups weren't originally designed for that purpose. Like acid brushes. I also use the small Dixie cups, much easier to dip the brush than messing with the bottle. Wax paper helps keep the workbench clean.

There are other items I use in the shop that you won't find in a WW catalog, like this "third arm". It's marketed to pet groomers:
310C9J1QNYL._AA280_.jpg

It's not quite as useful as I thought it would be, but it helps holding the shop vac nozzle in place while routing and drilling. And of course, most dust collection pipes and fittings were designed for HVAC & plumbing.

So, what do you have in your shop that wasn't meant for woodworking?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Wax paper as you do. Plastic wrap/saran wrap I use to wrap up brushes in between coats of finish, pie tins to put feet of projects in while I am finishing them, a laptop computer to surf the site and pull up project plans, a hand truck to wheel my dust barrel out, a hydraulic lift cart to haul lumber and let my daughter ride up and down on, and last but not least, a tennis racket to swat japanese hornets or bumble bees that seem to like to wander in here.

JOAT

New User
Theo
You trying to tell me wax paper wasn't invented for glue ups? I sometimes use cupcake cups to hold glue or paint. I use small paint brushes for glue, then wash them out - like them a lot better than acid brushes. Popsicle sticks - great shims, and seems like I can never make a prototype jig without needing to use at least one popsicle stick in it. They're also nice for spreading glue, make nice sandpaper sticks, paint stirrers, etc.

I use acrylic latex paint in some of my projects. I don't use a lot, so only get the small cans, then transfer the paint to plastic snap top thingies I get in the grocery store, a couple of bucks or so for six. Use the same containersfor nails, screws, and so on. With the clear pl you cansee what's inside without opening. They stack nicely too.

On the top of the drill press I've got a large speaker magnet, and a magnetic pan meant for small parts when working on cars, and a medium size welding magnet. They nicely hold chuck keys, frequently used drills, whatever.

I use plastic spoons for measuring paint when mixing custom colors.

Probably a few more things, but then I'd have to start thinking.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I have a magnet on a piece of flexible aluminum that most auto mechs use to fish parts out of engines. I use it to fish the jamb nut out of the sawdust when I am changing blades on the Unisaw.

Please don't shake your heads, I know yall have dropped your jamb nut a time or two.!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have a magnet on a piece of flexible aluminum that most auto mechs use to fish parts out of engines. I use it to fish the jamb nut out of the sawdust when I am changing blades on the Unisaw.

Please don't shake your heads, I know yall have done that too!
Geoff, that is not true. I have NEVER used a gadget to fish the jamb nut out of your Unisaw.

Actually, that's a good idea. Much easier than removing the back panel on my ProShop. Also, it would discourage me from cutting myself on the blade because I think I can force my arm down the opening to...oh never mind. :sign5:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like to keep fake and real (my wife's) credit cards around as glue spreaders, and lamination stock for pens. Also I love to use drinking straws to get the glue out of corners and right angles.
I find that a 1/2 dozen bricks wrapped in duct tape are indispensable for weighting down glue-ups, lifting projects for finishing, and holding the shop door open when I am carrying in a bunch of sheet goods.

Dave:)

JOAT

New User
Theo
I've got a large speaker magnet on a piece of straing. Works especially great if you spill small nails in sawdust. Also handy if you drop something on the drive while working on the car, and can't see it.

I've got a grabber too. http://www.bellbrush.com/images/LIT010.jpg These usually seem to sell for around $8-10 each. Years back I got a case of 24 for $50 someting on eBay. Especially handy when you drop something behind a big tool, and don't feel like moving it. I've got one in the shop, each bathroom, laundry room, bedroom, kitchen, front room. I can get down, but with my joints now, it's a real pain getting back up. I gave a few of these away, and still have a few spares.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
What shop?!?!?:dontknow:

Stretch film. Best thing I've found for irregularly shaped glue-ups. And I've got plenty of it! Anyone need some?

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The usual: Margarine bowls, plastic coffee cans, wax paper, saran wrap, paraffin, bar soap, Barkeeper's Friend powder, toothpicks, measuring cups, spatula (to get that last bit of paint out of the paint can), plastic packing tape (covers edges, makes a good shim, makes a slick finish, etc), credit card glue speaders, colander (great for straining the skin coat off of paint), speaker magnets, metal baking pans (parts cleaning and screw sorting), scotchbrite scrub pads, microfiber cloths, plastic peanut butter jars (parts/fastener storage and small parts/bit cleaning), spray bottles, metal bed frame rails, bicycle inner tube, and aluminum foil (great for masking irregularly shaped objects).
I trust that old lawn mower blades, car battery charger and 5 gal paint bucket for doing a "Roger-Ready Kilowatt" job doesn't qualify for this category .(OOps forgot the parts for the head gear, more aluminum foil) :rolf:

Go

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Disposable assorted sized turkey roasting pans and pie tins make great dip trays for staining and sealing small parts. Q-tips get into more tight places then just ears and a tooth brush cleans more then teeth.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Please don't shake your heads, I know yall have dropped your jamb nut a time or two.!

For those who have dropped their Unisaw arbor nut and are tired of doing so, you need to buy one of these. Without a doubt, THE BEST ($22) ACCESSORY I HAVE EVER PURCHASED for my Unisaw. It has a small stabilizer attached to the nut (but can spin independently). There is a recess that allows you to place the nut on the arbor and it won't fall off, before starting to thread it. It also comes with the smaller nut on the left you can use with dado blades. There is one for L (36-660) & R (36-659) tilt Unisaws. It is a Delta part and also available from other sources.

36-659.jpg

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
I am an artist and I get my acrylic paint in craft department in Wal-Mart. They come on small plastic containers with flip tops.
Rita

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
Dick uses cat treat jars for screws and nuts and bolts and any small parts that tend to get lost. I use them for small amounts of mixed paint. I use small PVC pipe with end caps to store my scroll saw blades.
Rita

Glennbear

Glenn
I was thinking how many items used in glue-ups weren't originally designed for that purpose. Like acid brushes. I also use the small Dixie cups, much easier to dip the brush than messing with the bottle. Wax paper helps keep the workbench clean.

There are other items I use in the shop that you won't find in a WW catalog, like this "third arm". It's marketed to pet groomers:
310C9J1QNYL._AA280_.jpg

It's not quite as useful as I thought it would be, but it helps holding the shop vac nozzle in place while routing and drilling. And of course, most dust collection pipes and fittings were designed for HVAC & plumbing.

So, what do you have in your shop that wasn't meant for woodworking?
I have a microphone stand with a "bendy part" like your pic which I mounted a lighted magnifier on, I have a spare one so now I know what to mount on it.........:gar-Bi a clamp !!!! I also use an IV pole with a shop made bracket which interchanges with the original top to hold a quartz light, very handy when extended up to full height to light up a large area or retracted to hold a heat lamp. FYI...........plumping copper pipe when soldered and drilled will enable you to use the original push button latch on an IV pole. Dang near limitless the attachments you can make.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Along with the magnet on the string idea ... take an old telescoping radio antenna and use some JB Weld to attach a small magnet to the tip. Extend the antenna and you've got a magnet that can pick up bolts/screws dropped in the smallest places.

I actually have a similar tool that is built into the tip of a screw driver (my wife bought it as a stocking stuffer one year). You take the tip out and extend the magnet rod (also holds the screw driver tips in the handle). It wasn't very expensive, but it has saved me from having to tear things apart to get a bolt that I dropped on several occasions.

Will

Glennbear

Glenn
I realized I had an chance to make a stealth gloat so here are pics of the stands I mentioned. The new drill press and table "just happened" to be next to the stand despite the fact it is on wheels :gar-La;

This stand uses copper tube soldered together and painted for the "T" section and drilled for the original IV stand push buttons to change attachments.

This is the light /magnifier mounted on the microphone stand, easily bent to use where needed but stable due to weighted base.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The usual:

OK, very creative. I think I know the usage for most of them, but the bicycle inner tube?????

Margarine bowls, plastic coffee cans - OK, storage
wax paper, saran wrap, - glue-up, tool lubrication, covering stuff, OK
paraffin, - tool lubrication, anti-rust?
bar soap, - for screws I assume
Barkeeper's Friend powder - for cleaning cast iron surfaces
toothpicks - lots of uses for that
measuring cups - obvious
spatula (to get that last bit of paint out of the paint can) - to get that last bit of paint out of the paint can
plastic packing tape (covers edges, makes a good shim, makes a slick finish, etc), - not going to make the same joke again
credit card glue speaders - OK
colander (great for straining the skin coat off of paint) - OK
speaker magnets - lemme guess, holding small metal parts?
metal baking pans (parts cleaning and screw sorting) - why metal pans for screw sorting? isn't that noisy
scotchbrite scrub pads - good for cast iron surfaces
microfiber cloths - as tack cloths?
plastic peanut butter jars (parts/fastener storage and small parts/bit cleaning) - OK. Chunky or smooth?
spray bottles - what do you spray? blade cleaner?
metal bed frame rails - for what, building a bed?
bicycle inner tube - for expansion of....something? Intrigued by this one!
aluminum foil (great for masking irregularly shaped objects). Never thought of that. Looks like all the household rolls can be used in the shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors