Using a Large Scraper on Flutes / Spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I turn a lot of spindles and flutes. I havent ventured onto bowls yet but that is coming. Anyhow I wonder if when I have just about gotten the flute to the size I want if a large scraper would help with the last light cut and finish and maybe a little easier. I know developing the skill with the skew is probably the way to go but just curious on the scraper. Thanks

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have you thought about a spindlemaster. Works great in my book and easier to use then the skew. That is what Sorby calls it. I have seen the design other brands but using a different name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2RnjduWo0E

P.S.. I have one if you want to borrow it.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Thanks Scott. I had seen that a while back and did wonder about. Produces a nice finish. I may just go ahead and get me one for Christmas...Thanks for the offer.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Have you thought about a spindlemaster. Works great in my book and easier to use then the skew. That is what Sorby calls it. I have seen the design other brands but using a different name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2RnjduWo0E

P.S.. I have one if you want to borrow it.

I have the small one and I have mixed feelings about it. It is much easier to sharpen than a skew. It is easier to use than a skew, but it is not a catch proof replacement. I have a harder time getting a consistent diameter with it than with the skew and I have never gotten quite as good a finish as the best I have done with the skew. It can leave a pretty good finish, but the skew can leave the surface ready for finishing. However, I have destroyed more flute blanks with a skew than anything else. If you get a catch on a hollow blank, things get fairly exciting.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Im going to give the spindlemaster a try. I had a couple of gift cards from work and caught free shipping for one day at "The Best Thing" and so I got the 3/4" spindlemaster and a 3/4" scraper and didnt cost me anything....So as they say the vortex deepens...just one more tool.....until the next brainstorm

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Im going to give the spindlemaster a try. I had a couple of gift cards from work and caught free shipping for one day at "The Best Thing" and so I got the 3/4" spindlemaster and a 3/4" scraper and didnt cost me anything....So as they say the vortex deepens...just one more tool.....until the next brainstorm

Free tools are great.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS