User Announcement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
As announced earlier, the Off Topic forum is temporarily closed. Please, please :eusa_pray:eusa_pray:eusa_pray do not use the User Announcement forum as its replacement.

In the meantime please use the "User Announcements" forum for the purposes of announcing birthdays, births, deaths, prayer requests, pets, taking vacation, etc.

The reason the above topics are being allowed is that they are basically announcements about Users and/or their families. Weather reports:gar-Bi are not really User Announcements:no:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Help me out here ...... where , in our current format, would you post a weather report or a general discussion as it relates to shop time/challenges ?

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Help me out here ...... where , in our current format, would you post a weather report or a general discussion as it relates to shop time/challenges ?

Maybe in how you start off the post like announcing I'm Hot! then go on to explain why you made that announcement.

:rotflm:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
A weather report, nowhere:swoon: As it relates to your shop, woodworking, etc. could be workshops, general woodworking, etc.

If the Off Topics forums was open, the general weather report would have gone there.

I don't know how to to explain any more why the Off Topic was closed, but it was done with an important purpose. If we then allow another forum with a different name to take its place, well we really did not accomplish anything. BTW, tahta was aimed at you provided me the opportunity to explain a bit better.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
It's all about streamlining, staying on topic and finding a more appropriate forum for the 'off topic' stuff, I would suppose.

I think I understand completely, if it is raining cats and dogs, for instance, we should go to the ASPCA forum and post a thread about that phenomena there. :gar-La; D'ar!

Personally, I'm waiting for someone to chew me out for my OCD induced pattern of post editing. I promise, I'm seeking professional help for it! :gar-Bi

Dean

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
I was just wondering...and I know this is kind of 'off topic' but...what about a NCWW Facebook page? That might be a great place for off topic stuff? At least there the bandwidth would be on someone else's server. Just a thought...I don't know if it's a practical or even intelligent one but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Dean

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I thought we had one there.

I already have a lot of FB friends from here. It is a better place for chit chat.

sawduster

New User
Robert
for me , this is as close to " social networking " as I will ever get . I do not participate in the myface , twit-er etc sites and have no desire to . For some folks it does indeed truly inhance their lives and I do not begrudge them that one bit but it is just not for me :nah: ....yeah , I don't trust banks either :rotflm:

E-mail and PM's are convenient and serve their purpose but they still cannot hold a candle to a good ol face-to-face :mrgreen:

.....also remember that this is coming from an old fogey who still does not even own a cell phone :eek: :gar-La;

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
for me , this is as close to " social networking " as I will ever get . I do not participate in the myface , twit-er etc sites and have no desire to . For some folks it does indeed truly inhance their lives and I do not begrudge them that one bit but it is just not for me :nah: ....yeah , I don't trust banks either :rotflm:

E-mail and PM's are convenient and serve their purpose but they still cannot hold a candle to a good ol face-to-face :mrgreen:

.....also remember that this is coming from an old fogey who still does not even own a cell phone :eek: :gar-La;

+1 Except for the Old Fogey part, I'll leave that to Bro Duster.

I am concerned though as it seems that we are possibly backsliding and going back to the old moderation style. What is going on that the Off Topic forum is now defunk? Seems that the conversations flowing there were strong and no conflicting to the site???:dontknow:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

I'm wit choo bro!:icon_thum Now that I am officially unemployed I am thinkin bout doin away wit da cell too. anybody wanna swap a house and shop for a cabin 100 miles deep in da woods? :widea:must have water and indoor plumbing [at least a sink with a hand pump] electric is optional!:gar-La; hmmmmm.... wonder if da wifey would.....?:nah: was a good thought.:cool:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Come see my place Fred, it is on the market now.

bbbbut bbbut bbbut you already got another place so how could we swap?:gar-Bi I was thinkin swap a place that has payment for one that doesn't. of coarse the wifey would never go for it.:nah: sounds intriguing though.:icon_thum

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
+1 Except for the Old Fogey part, I'll leave that to Bro Duster.

I am concerned though as it seems that we are possibly backsliding and going back to the old moderation style. What is going on that the Off Topic forum is now defunk? Seems that the conversations flowing there were strong and no conflicting to the site???:dontknow:

+1 on the above. Wonder what caused us to go back instead of forward??

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
The Off Topic forum has been temporarily closed for a variety of reasons. This action has been taken twice before. Of course there is nothing "wrong" with threads about the weather. If all the threads that went to the OT were like that, I would not have closed it.

The problem is that the weather in general, does not belong in the user announcement forum. Where does it belong? In the same forum where we discuss techniques for playing the alto sax.

Why am I being hard nosed about this. Becuase from the past 2 times I have learned that if we don't stop it quickly and up front, it will go quickly from weather reports to something like tort reform and lawyer burning at the stake in a very short time.

I really ask for your support as we try to review our moderation policies and procedures and unfortunately closing the OT forum for a while is part of it and so is insisting that off topic things not be put in other forums.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
What if you have a topic in the Off Topic forum that you want to up date?:help:Steve if you could shoot me a PM that would be great.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
The Off Topic forum has been temporarily closed for a variety of reasons. This action has been taken twice before. Of course there is nothing "wrong" with threads about the weather. If all the threads that went to the OT were like that, I would not have closed it.

The problem is that the weather in general, does not belong in the user announcement forum. Where does it belong? In the same forum where we discuss techniques for playing the alto sax.

Why am I being hard nosed about this. Becuase from the past 2 times I have learned that if we don't stop it quickly and up front, it will go quickly from weather reports to something like tort reform and lawyer burning at the stake in a very short time.

I really ask for your support as we try to review our moderation policies and procedures and unfortunately closing the OT forum for a while is part of it and so is insisting that off topic things not be put in other forums.

Well, gee, that really clears things up.

Sorta like when I ask my Wife, "What's wrong?" and she says, "NOTHING!"

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

I'm with Duster on this one - this is as close as I get to "Social Networking". And I'm also the Fred, even though I have a job... I hate my cell phone. A cell phone is like a leash a guy can't even get any shop time without someone calling and interrupting... So I now keep it turned off until I want to use it. I figure if someone really wants to get a hold of me they can send a letter in the mail or they will leave a message on my cell phone and I might get it when I use my cell phone about once a week, if I could only remember my voice mail password :eusa_thin.

Steve... Have a change of heart and bring back the OT forum. I promise I will not post anything about burning lawyers as the stake again :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS