upper vanity cabinet

UncleJoe

New User
Joe
my daughter is remodeling her bath and wants me to make a cabinet to sit on top of her vanity and upper vanity cabinet, I guess you would call it. The cabinet will sit on top of the quartz countertop. My question is what should I do to protect the plywood cabinet sides from moisture spills on the countertop, etc. I can envision a spill seeping underneath and wicking into the plywood. will caulking be enough?

thanks for any advice you can give me on this

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Add a "foot" to the base, something decorative. A piece of solid wood trim that will contact the countertop and not the plywood edge.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I agree w/ Chris. Depending on the style of your cabinet, there are lots of ways to address this. It could even be a straight strip of wood recessed back slightly from the edge of the cabinet. Whatever you decide, I would apply a good coat of water proof finish to the "foot".

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
We do that often, see rendering attached if I understand that correctly.

The cabinet needs to be sealed against the countertop, with a thin line of silicone caulk, preventing moisture ingress.

Plywood will damage if it is standing water, or it stays wet for a while. Otherwise you should be fine.
IMG_2348.png

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
If it sits on the countertop and isn't attached to the wall? (not a good idea) then I would just add some plastic feet to the bottom, or make something out of AZAK maybe.

I would at least use a french cleat.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
A slab (or slats) of granite underneath? Still have to caulk but at least up off the counter top.

Howie

Howie
Senior User
Seal plywood end(s) w/film of caulk. Use a dime as a spacer then wall mount and caulk gap (less is more).

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You'd have to check with your daughter but my first choice would be to leave enough gap under the cabinet that it can be cleaned. She might or might not like that idea. If she doesn't like it then I agree with Howie. Leave a caulkable gap but leave a gap. It is going to collect stuff but you won't see it until the cabinet is removed.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors