Upgrade to High Dust Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Many of you probably remember my high dust alarm. There are a number of posts about it here. My system is mounted on my cyclone and uses a day/night optical sensor and a supplementary light source pictured here.

HighDust-5.JPG

A few months ago I sent one of my alarms to my editor at AWW for their shop. I also sent them a short piece of metal duct to mount the sensor and light. The duct was designed to be inserted between the flex hose at the bottom of the cone and dust bin on their Oneida cyclone.

Unfortunately they didn't have enough space between the cyclone and drum to insert the duct so had to come up with some other mounting method. In doing so they had to increase the intensity of the supplemental light source. Now they are worried about the amount of heat generated by the light and fear it might melt the flex. They asked me to think about other options.

At first I thought about CFLs but don't like them due to size and other factors, but LED based bulbs are now finally coming onto the market. The prices for LEDs are still pretty high but coming down. I found the small bulb, pictured below, at Walmart for a little over $5. It has a candelabra shaped enclosure holding 20 LEDs. It has a candelabra base but can be purchase with a standard shaped bulb and incandescent bulb, medium base.

It works great!! It only draws 1.5W, is plenty bright (25W+ incandescent equivalent), and produces essentially no heat. It is a bit larger, but a great replacement for the incandescent bulb in my system. (p.s. my advanced retail system is just about done)

IMG_3095.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_30941.jpg

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I can't wait to for them to come down even more, LED's just seem to be a better solution.

Good luck on the retail version!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS