Upcoming Auction-NCWW Raffle Items

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I strongly disagree with posting the current high bid. You are incouraging snipping. If you wanted to not do it as a blind auction, you should have just posted the items on eBay.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I strongly disagree with posting the current high bid. You are incouraging snipping. If you wanted to not do it as a blind auction, you should have just posted the items on eBay.

@NCGrimbo so, how would you suggest we secure the highest amount for the site? (not on E-bay since these were supplier-donated items?)

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Hmerkle I can see where NCGrimbo coming from.

The point of a blind auction is for people to bid the maximum that they're willing to pay at the onset, and hope for the best. By posting the current high bid, you turn it into a "standard" auction, which could have been done by taking bids in the comments.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I understand that, the root problem is that this is an attempt to raise money for the scholarship fund.
If I know an item was bid at $100, I might bid a little higher to obtain the item AND support the site... if I don't know, I might only bid $100... in a blind auction...

perhaps the blind auction was a poor choice, but I still think it is better than a simple open bid.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
The basic idea of an auction is to take advantage of the 'need to win.' The competitive nature usually results in the highest purchase price. Even 'Silent Auctions' take advantage of that principle, the usually have a sheet to log your bid where the other bids are clear...

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
The idea was for members to submit their best offer for the items, not to brag or shame others into submitting a bid. I was hesitant to post the high bids (at that point in time)

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
The idea was for members to submit their best offer for the items, not to brag or shame others into submitting a bid. I was hesitant to post the high bids (at that point in time)

and that was the impression I was under when the auction was announced that bids were not going to be announced.

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Due to malfunctioning brain cells, the auction was supposed to end Tuesday night midnight, but in the item descriptions, I have 6/28 midnight. On that point, today is the final day to submit any bid for these items.

and that was the impression I was under when the auction was announced that bids were not going to be announced.
The change of heart was to inspire others to place bids to raise funds for the scholarship endowment program. The BOD discussed how to do the auction at a high level, but in the end, it was my decision to post the bids.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Neal for taking the initiative in getting the auction up and running.

We can learn and tweak the process next time in our continuing effort to create the best benefit for our members in fulfilling the NCWoodworker.net mission.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Due to malfunctioning brain cells, the auction was supposed to end Tuesday night midnight, but in the item descriptions, I have 6/28 midnight. On that point, today is the final day to submit any bid for these items.

The change of heart was to inspire others to place bids to raise funds for the scholarship endowment program. The BOD discussed how to do the auction at a high level, but in the end, it was my decision to post the bids.
Neil, thank you for handling this.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
@NCGrimbo so, how would you suggest we secure the highest amount for the site? (not on E-bay since these were supplier-donated items?)
Simple. Had these items been picked up by the winners, we would have gotten $0 extra money. Any money gained by a secondary auction of these items is EXTRA $$$. Wanting to "secure the highest amount" seems greedy to me. Maybe next time you make a decision and stick with it. Or put out a poll and ask the community what type of auction to do. And my final nick-pick is that the auction style appear to be changed due to one person asking for a change. (Upcoming Auction-NCWW Raffle Items)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not mad, I just don't respect the decision to change the style after the auctions had started.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
File this under no good deed goes unpunished. I'd rather just say thank you to the folks working on their own time to ensure the success of the site. You made a reasonable decision believed to be in the best interest of the site.

I appreciate all that you do.
Mike

bowman

Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Winners have been notified. With these items, we raised an additional $786 to go towards the Scholarship Endowment program.

Thanks to all who participated, and with that said, we did learn a few things that can be applied for future auctions. This was our first on the current Xenforo platform, and there is always room for improvement.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS