Up to the 9' ceiling or not?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I have a customer struggling with this one, what do you think, up to the ceiling or not?

Kitchen Crown To Ceiling.png
Kitchen V3.png

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Extra tall cabinets are great if you need long term storage.
Most cabinet companies only do 42" wall as highest, mounted 54" from the floor gives us 96" or 8' height. To go to the ceiling with cabinets, we have to stack cabinets for a 9 or 10' ceiling.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I like the shorter ones. You can put lighting up there and it will brighten up the space. And being short, I can't reach my upper shelves anyway. :)

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I like the shorter ones. You can put lighting up there and it will brighten up the space. And being short, I can't reach my upper shelves anyway. :)
When we remodeled our kitchen with 9' ceilings, we had the contractor use standard sized cabinets and then attach matching decorative crown molding to the tops of the cabinets. We then wired in lighting on its own switch and installed soft lighting. The effect was spectacular; a soft glow that let you navigate the kitchen without harsh lighting spilling out into the great room or reflecting off the TV. We got many compliments on the total look. One extra thought: our cabinets were cherry, and I wonder how a soft, yellowish light will mix with white cabinets.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
For practicality, to the ceiling, but it changes the perspective making it look taller and narrower. Might make the window look cramped. That much white is a bit imposing for my taste. Access or not depends on if there is sufficient rarely used storage elsewhere.

Another option is glass doors on the top and some nice Blinko glassware on display.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
When we remodeled our kitchen with 9' ceilings, we had the contractor use standard sized cabinets and then attach matching decorative crown molding to the tops of the cabinets. We then wired in lighting on its own switch and installed soft lighting. The effect was spectacular; a soft glow that let you navigate the kitchen without harsh lighting spilling out into the great room or reflecting off the TV. We got many compliments on the total look. One extra thought: our cabinets were cherry, and I wonder how a soft, yellowish light will mix with white cabinets.
2700K would probably tame them a bit. 5000K would send you running. IMHO of course.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Similar to NCGrimbo...I'd suggest leaving it. No value add for the extra cabinet space/not easily usable, unsafe to try and use, costs more in wood, the little bit of dust settles on top (zero issue) and put LED color changeable lighting up there (looks great at night or change color for the season/mood). Also if they wish they can store nick knacks. My thoughts...

sandfarm

Joe
User
I have 9' ceilings with enclosed drywall 12" boxing, then the cabinets. No dust shelf. Overhead cabinets are high enough at 8' to top. I am 6' 1" high and can just reach anything on the top shelf.
I also have an 8' floor to boxing pantry cabinet that is 16" deep and sometimes need a step ladder to reach anything on the back of the top shelf.
This setup works good for me.
I have install drywall boxing over existing open top cabinets for people that have gotten tired of all the dust bunnies.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I vote for x tend to ceiling with either cabinet or trim. Based on the style it seems to complete the look and add a touch of custom instead of leaving it looking like stock cabinetry was used.

I also think something needs to be done with the window. Maybe make wider trim to give appearance of a larger opening, a pendant light or cabinets/trim across the top.

waitup

New User
Matt
Another vote for go to the ceiling. We put smaller cabinets on top of the uppers to get more storage for seldom used items (Holiday dishes). Just use a step ladder to get them down once a year.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Open. I've shown plenty of houses where it went to the ceiling like that and buyer's felt room was more cramped. And the few that put shelves in the open area up to the ceiling feedback was it gave an industrial feeling to the kitchen (which wasn't a good thing for those buyers)

Also up to the ceiling gives a dated impression as that area was often boxed in in homes from the 50's to 60's. Most renovations I've seen from homes that era they rip the boxed areas out.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I'd leave it with wider trim. It makes the room feel larger. Nobody will ever notice the dust up there unless you have spider webs.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
For me it depends on what type of home. In our former home, 3000+sqft, we had plenty of storage so lighting was above the cabinets, we loved the soft light it provided. In our newly purchased 1300sqft condo we are going with ceiling height to take advantage of the space. Reality says we will rarely use anything placed that high, but if it keeps the peace of downsizing, I'm all in.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS