Undermount sink

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
My daughter would like an undermount sink in her laundry room which will have butcher block counter top. Any harm in this idea?

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I'm following as my wife would like the same. I've seen this done once before and the butcher block was splitting so obviously done improperly. The main concern is sealing up the end grain so I'm not sure what is reliable enough to do so. Maybe spar varnish?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dirk, I've seen it done in a few applications including butcher block. The sealing process is key and it is a maintenance issue down the road.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I agree with others about sealing the end grain very well and potential issues if maintenance and immediate repairs to finish breakdown. Lumber choice may also effect this—use a dense lumber with smaller grain and the finish will hold up better than something with an open grain (I’m thinking ipe or hard maple vs oak).

If at all possible a drop in or apron front with a lip would probably solve a lot of issues with sealing the end grain and subsequent, and vigilant, maintenance.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The bigger issue is the sink leaking around the undermount and butcher block top along with the wood maintenance issue down the road.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I did this in my master bath. Mahogany top sealed with Waterlox marine finish. A few years and no issues. Seal above and below.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Besides the end finish already mentioned,a design consideration is the added weight if you are considering a deep sink similar to a utility sink. The deeper sink, and potential deeper water, along with the typical rough usage in a utility/laundry area compared to a traditional kitchen or bathroom sink may impact your choice for how, or even if, you hang the sink. Not sure the clips I am familiar with using would take the abuse. One would hope a utility sink designed for undermount will come with appropriate mounting hardware.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS