Type of wood for outdoor bench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazart

New User
Steve
This is a bench in my M.I.L's back yard and it reminds her of her husband. The existing wood is kaput and I'd like to replace it. Is there a type of wood that would handle the outdoors better than other woods? I don't want to use PT Pine - that just seems cheap for something that is meaningful to her.

Also, she said there used to be something metal in the middle under the wood but it's gone now. I'm guessing it would help with support. Any ideas on what I could do to reinforce the wood once I replace it?

bench27.jpg

Last edited:

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
If money is no concern, then Teak, but if any sort of budget is to be considered, I would go with cypress.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
My go to for outdoors is cypress, but looking at your photo I'd consider Ipe since it can be bolted and doesn't need to be glued.

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I rebuilt a few of these after we moved here and I used white oak because of the stiffness. After 2 years the seats sagged a little but still serviceable and I think cypress would have sagged even more. One caution is to use 1/4" SS RH machine screws and nuts. I had to grind off at least 80% of the original fasteners.
The straps go from the inside of the legs to about the center of a seat slat to brace the legs,

Last edited:

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
Steve
I just rebuilt one of these. My FIL had a 50 year old white oak 2 by 8 about 12 feet long. I resawed it and got some really nice slats. The top back slat on mine is curved so I wasted a little wood making that. The original had a thin metal band attached to each seat slat underneath. I replace it with a piece of 1/4 by 2 metal that I shaped cold in the vise. It may not be quite 1/4, I didn't measure it. Good luck!
Doug Vinson

NTCook

New User
Nick
dazart, I have a pile of angelim pedra that you're welcome to have for free if you'd like it. It is rot resistant, super hard, works/finishes well, and is already roughly milled to the size it appears you'll need. My plan was to make some outdoor furniture, but my wife picked up some pre-made stuff because I haven't had the time to do it =P

I'm going to PM you my number so you can text me, I don't check the site as often as I'd like to because I'm just too busy with school these last 5-6 months.

Some info on the species: http://www.wholesalelumber.biz/angelim_pedra.htm

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS