Twist Drill Bit Sharpening Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Is there anyone out there in the Cary, Apex, Holly Springs area who uses the Drill Doctor?

I have a 9.7 MM drill bit that I use in my doweling jig that really needs a renewed edge. It has just been used to drill dowel holes in a LOT of red and white oak but seems to working way too hard and I think that it could do with a sharpening.

If you have a Drill Doctor and wouldn't mind helping me out, it sure would be appreciated.:icon_thum

TIA!

Wayne

ehpoole

Ethan
It'll help this discussion if you let us know which Drill Doctor model you are using.

I own the 750dx (their top model) which includes capabilities and options not found in any of the lower models. If you are using one of the lesser models then the setup is a bit easier since some of the steps won't apply.

I have not yet had a chance to use mine extensively, but it is not terribly complex. Nonetheless, I do recommend experimenting on a bit you don't much care about/need as I did manage to screw up my first two attempts (they were still usable, but I messed up the split point step).

Let us know which model you are using and I'm sure you'll get the help you need. You might also try and explain what part is confusing you so we can focus on that part.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I think he's looking for someone near by to help by letting him use their drill doc to sharpen his bit. Wish I was closer, I'm borrowing my buddies!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
It'll help this discussion if you let us know which Drill Doctor model you are using.

I own the 750dx (their top model) which includes capabilities and options not found in any of the lower models. If you are using one of the lesser models then the setup is a bit easier since some of the steps won't apply.

I have not yet had a chance to use mine extensively, but it is not terribly complex. Nonetheless, I do recommend experimenting on a bit you don't much care about/need as I did manage to screw up my first two attempts (they were still usable, but I messed up the split point step).

Let us know which model you are using and I'm sure you'll get the help you need. You might also try and explain what part is confusing you so we can focus on that part.

I think he's looking for someone near by to help by letting him use their drill doc to sharpen his bit. Wish I was closer, I'm borrowing my buddies!

The Drill Doctor is one tool that I do not have....

I have looked quite a bit but never pulled the trigger.:embarrassed:

Just need to get this one bit a little sharper right now.

Thanks for your replies.

Wayne

ehpoole

Ethan
Sorry for the misunderstanding,

If you happen to get lost in upstate SC then you're welcome to use mine, otherwise I wish you luck in your quest!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I don't have a drill doctor but I could teach you how to sharpen drill bits by hand. I was one of the top drill sharpening students in machine class. :rotflm:

Really it's not hard to do when you see how.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The Drill Doctor is one tool that I do not have....

I have looked quite a bit but never pulled the trigger.:embarrassed:

Just need to get this one bit a little sharper right now.

Thanks for your replies.

Wayne

Hey, this sounds like an opportunity to buy a new [STRIKE]toy[/STRIKE] tool. :eusa_danc Seriously, Wayne, I wish I lived closer. You are more than welcome to use mine if you can't find one closer to home.

Bill

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have one and you are welcome to come by and use it but I am a ways away. I'll have to get the book out as I haven't used it in a long time.:gar-La;

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you were close to Roanoke, I'd show you how well a Darex M5 works. I'd even show you how to grind your own brad point, a far better doweling bit as its made for wood boring rather than metal cutting.
DPBPbit.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Mike is right it's easy once someone shows you how... But my eye sight is not as good as it used to be so I don't mess with sharpening them much anymore. I'll just go pick up a new one and toss the old one in a jar, utill I can visit my FIL who has a drill doctor.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I've got one. My shop is about 6 miles east of Pittsboro off Hwy 64. Send me a PM if you'd like to come out.

bobby g

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I've got one thats available. I don't have much experience with it tho. The instructional video is vhs and I no longer have a working vcr :tinysmile_tongue_t: The few bits that I use alot work really well, I just haven't gotten around to running all my bits through yet.

If your bits have the brad point shown in Bob's pic, it will remove it.

I'll try and remember to bring it to work with me tomorrow, I can bring it by on my way home if you want to give it a go. I work in Raleigh so pass through Cary.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I've got one. My shop is about 6 miles east of Pittsboro off Hwy 64. Send me a PM if you'd like to come out.

bobby g

Make the drive out to bobby g's shop. You WON'T be disappointed! He has an amazing shop!:thumbs_up

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for all of the kind offers everyone!

One of our great members has me covered.

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Now I am finally really, really sharp!!!!:wsmile::wsmile:

Bruce (junquecol) was kind enough to take time out of his busy day to put my bit through his Drill Doctor. I don't think it was this sharp when I bought it!

It seems that everyday of the year, folks on this site are not only contributing to the enjoyment of us all through posts and pictures, but also lending a hand to fellow members.

NCWW Rocks!

Thanks so much again Bruce and also to all that responded.

Wayne

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Bruce, [STRIKE]just down the road from me[/STRIKE] my twin separated at birth has one? I should stop by and reminisce... :rolf: That is definitely another "I shoulda pulled the trigger" one for me. A drywall installer getting out of the business had one on CL for $25 a year or two ago and I was the first call but I just wasn't sure I needed it. Yeah, I am kickin' myself...

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Did you get the split point? I was watching the video earlier today on mine and found out it does split points too. Wonder if thats more for metal working than wood working.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you were close to Roanoke, I'd show you how well a Darex M5 works. I'd even show you how to grind your own brad point, a far better doweling bit as its made for wood boring rather than metal cutting.
DPBPbit.jpg
Cut through Burnt Chimney, and Bob's an hour closer. A Drill Doctor is one of those tools you don't think would ever need, until you use one. Then it's "Why didn't I buy one before?" Darex has made machiune shop bit sharpeners for ages, and now they make the Drill doctor for the rest of us. But 30 seconds at the bench grinder will sharpen most bits:rotflm:.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wayne, if you ever need to sharpen another bit and Bruce is not available, feel free to give me a call. I actually have two Drill Doctors (old model and the new one) and you're welcome to use one.

Come to think of it, I ought to post my old one for sale in the classifieds...

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne, if you ever need to sharpen another bit and Bruce is not available, feel free to give me a call. I actually have two Drill Doctors (old model and the new one) and you're welcome to use one.

Come to think of it, I ought to post my old one for sale in the classifieds...

Thanks so much for the offer, Scott!

I managed to score on a new/used one off of CL today. Just need to learn the proper technique now.

Thanks again everyone........

Closing the thread.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS