Turning Tool Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crrunion

New User
Randall
I am a beginner wood turner, but I would like to learn to turn enough to make some finials for a clock I hope to build. I have a set of
Turning_Tool_002.JPG

View image in gallery

tools, but there is one tool that I don't know what to do with. Could anyone identify this tool for me and tell me what kind of work it is designed to do?

Thanks

Randall

eyekode

New User
Salem
Looks like the set from HF. I sharpened mine as a scraper. It is about the least used in that set for me.
Good luck!
Salem

Crrunion

New User
Randall
Hey Eyekode, when I first bought my lathe, I bought a set of tools to get started and to practice with. They are marked AMD China. I don't use the lathe much, but if I ever get into it, the first thing I'm going to do is buy a better set of tools.

Randall

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have the HF set. I really can't complain. I still use most of them. I only added a bowl gouge, a thinner parting tool and replaced the detail gouge.
Salem

Crrunion

New User
Randall
I looked up the HF 8 piece set and that looks like them. I may pick up another tool or two from some place like Woodcraft. I need to attend one of their classes at Woodcraft on turning. I had "shop" in High School, and beyond that, what little I know, I learned on my own. I have bought a couple of books recently and am now reading Keith Rowley's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course - New Edition." I reading the chapter on "Sharpening" and the next chapter is "The Laws Of Turning." He has 6 laws. And the chapter after that is "Turning Between Centres" (He's British, so his spelling is funky sometimes) I have also acquired some wood to practice on, and my goal is to turn some finials for a clock I want to build. Hopefully, this will give me the information I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS