Turning nightmare potential???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have 6 round cut-outs 10" dia x ¾" thick that are left over from my dog feeder project. They are glued up from 3 boards (so each has 2 glue-lines in it). I am considering taking them and laminating them together to create a 4½" thick x 10" round bowl blank. The wood is Red Oak with some wild figure. Will the excessive amount of glue lines throughout the blank be a frustration greater than the bowl is worth??? I've got 17 glue lines to cut and sand through :eek: I have turned a Glue-lam beam before, and will not again. The bowl was pretty but the frustration and pucker factor were much greater.

I would hate to let this good wood go to waste, but on the other hand I would hate to waste my limited shop time trying to turn something that shouldn't be.

What y'all think??

Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I am sure no expert, but I would keep my tools sharp and have at it.
I have turned items with a few glue lines :gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Earl I thought of you when I posted this. My concern is the 10" diameter glue lines between each lamination. In your turnings you are already almost hollow, just needing a little shaping on the inside. With this I will be hoggin' out the whole inside.
I guess it won't hurt to try, after all it's just scrap wood.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I would suggest cutting the centers out and leaving yourself less to turn down, otherwise keep them tools sharp, and turn away. Or suggestion #2 use them for a great bandsaw box.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Just a thought but you could cut the top ones and should have a big enough piece left to add lower down and give the bowl more height

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You could cut some of the pieces into donuts before glueup

Just a thought but you could cut the top ones and should have a big enough piece left to add lower down and give the bowl more height

Earl you are the scrap wood master:eusa_clap:eusa_clap. I never thought of it that way. I might have to give that a try. I have never turned anything greater than 6" deep, because it's been hard to find that thick of stock.
Thanks for the suggestion:icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Didn't I see a post some time back about someone cutting up a piece like that on a 30 - 45 degree bevel with a scroll/band saw and having pieces that would stack one over another? You might get 2 bowls outa those pieces!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Dave the only question that jumps out at me is the quality of the glue-ups. Having done it yourself I doubt that will be a problem. I've turned some pieces similar to what you're talking and had no problems. Well no more than any other hf has.
Good luck to you sir!

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I've done this before. The one thing I did notice is with thin walls and heat the different rings may some movement. This is more true if you have each layer's grain perpendicular to the one below and above it. If you make the walls thin, sand it and let is sit a few days. You may see little ledges form as each ring moves differently.
When everything cools down you should be able to smooth is back out.

Wes

DavidF

New User
David
I would go the stack lamination root and get a bowl out of each piece. Figure the cutting angle against the size of the bowl you want to make. There are some quite good articles on the web. It is something I want to try too.

Mark Placek

New User
Mark
Dave,

I have made a few bowls in the past that I should not have spent the time turning. We learn from our mistakes. Stacked lamination has a great many possibilities, maybe in this case you should give this bowl turning technique a try.

I was doing a search the other day and found this post about stacked ring laminated bowls on a Canadian woodworking forum . The author explains it very well, I use a variation of these directions to make my bowls.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?t=18252

This post will give you some insight about "Making a bowl from a board".

Mark:wsmile:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dave,

I have made a few bowls in the past that I should not have spent the time turning. We learn from our mistakes. Stacked lamination has a great many possibilities, maybe in this case you should give this bowl turning technique a try.

I was doing a search the other day and found this post about stacked ring laminated bowls on a Canadian woodworking forum . The author explains it very well, I use a variation of these directions to make my bowls.

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?t=18252

This post will give you some insight about "Making a bowl from a board".

Mark:wsmile:

That's a cool tutorial Mark, thanks for the site.:thumbs_up

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Mark, that is a really interesting concept. I am hoping to have a day or two of uninterupted free time this long weekend, I might have to give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS