Turning Burls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

New User
Mike
I have never turned any burls but have noticed some while taking some walks lately and would like to know what precautions one should take when turning these...Ideally Im sure it would be best to turn these outside to avoid any respiratory problems but would a respiratory and good dust collector take care of this for the most part? And any other help/ideas would be helpful? Do you turn these as quick as you can after cutting them down or can you wait a while or do you need to wait to let them dry some? Thanks !!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Do you turn these as quick as you can after cutting them down or can you wait a while or do you need to wait to let them dry some? Thanks !!

My experience has been to get the burl area separated from the regular wood as soon as possible. Burl won't check like regular wood, but it can check down near the regular wood and those checks can run up into the burl area.

Rough profile turning and sealing as quickly as you can will obviously product the least probability of checking. I've dried many pieces of simple cylinders bandsawn out from the log and few burls have checked, but some did.

Rob

New User
Rob
+1. Rough turn it ASAP and get it sealed. I've lost a couple burls from cracking by letting them sit. Either that or seal it up now, to turn later.

Flute Maker

New User
Mike
Rob,
What is the best thing to seal them with? Ive read latex paint and maybe anchorseal or Dna if I remember right. I have a Lowes near me guess there is anything there I could get...??Thanks

Rob

New User
Rob
Anchor Seal, I've never used Latex paint so I can't comment on that, I've heard of people doing it. DNA will not seal, it will dry it out faster. You could rough turn it, and put it in a paper back to dry slowly. Depending on the value of the wood, putting the shavings in the bag will slow the drying process. Or soak it in DNA then put it in a paper bag to dry. I've had mix results doing DNA, depending on the wood. Bottom line is, the slower it drys, the more stable it will be. The faster it drys, the more chance of checking and or cracking. If I have a turning that has some great grain, and I don't want to risk it, I seal the whole thing with anchor seal and sit it on a shelf for several months, other bowls, if I have a lot of that type of wood, I soak in DNA for 24-48 hours, dry, wrap brown paper and set them on a shelf for a couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS