TS blade sharpening

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have a glue line TS blade I need sharpened . Would like to avoid shipping. Looking for recommendations in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill , Indian Land, Monroe area.

I’ve heard some stories online about blades being ruined by incompetent operators using the sharpening machine. Personally I would buy a new replacement blade and send the current blade to Festool to be sharpened. That way I know they are familiar with Festool blades and if they screw it up most likely Festool will send you a new blade with no questions asked because they support their customers. It’s just not worth the potential aggravation to save a few bucks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’ve heard some stories online about blades being ruined by incompetent operators using the sharpening machine. Personally I would buy a new replacement blade and send the current blade to Festool to be sharpened. That way I know they are familiar with Festool blades and if they screw it up most likely Festool will send you a new blade with no questions asked because they support their customers. It’s just not worth the potential aggravation to save a few bucks.
Maybe I missed it, did he say it’s a Festool blade?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I caught that also. Festool tools are little plastic portable power tools and not in the same league with a glue line rip saw (floor machine).

A bad operator with a bad sharpening machine will wreck about any blade but I think those situations are few and far between in this day and age.

Our local sharpening shop (Jamison's Sharpening Service) used to let Walter do the work. They'd give the blades to Walter, turn out the lights, and go home for the night. Walter is actually a Walter brand grinder that costs into six figures. They've since upgraded to an even better computer controlled system.

They've told me on several occasions that the machines can easily match the blade geometry with probes but a bent blade is a bent blade.

Of course if you read it on line its got to be true, right?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
After five years of weekend use I think it may be time to replace my tablesaw blade. Don’t know if it’s worth sharpening.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
You have to weigh the cost of a new blade vs. sharpening/shipping. The break point is probably $60-70.

IMO it’s a good idea to have at least 1 back up for each type.

I’m fortunate to have an excellent local service but I’ve sent blades to Forrest and was willing to pay the shipping. Sometimes you have to just bite the bullet.

FWIW I replaced the blade on my “little plastic saw” 🤣🤣 with a Diablo, and it‘s not even close compared to a Festool blade. I’ll defintiely gate that sharpened.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Leitz Tool, a pretty well known German industrial tooling manufacture, is the OEM for Festool saw blades. The blade is definitely worth sharpening..

Last edited:

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I should have stated it is a Freud blade. I have had it for many years. I think it might even have been a new product when I bought it. I looked and they now have multiple glue line saw blade styles to chose from now.

As usual Mike and Bob have great comments. Think I will buy a new blade and send this one to Charlotte Saw and Knife. I actually have a couple of boxes from blades returned to me by Charlotte Saw and Knife.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Union Saw and Grove have reps that actually pick up and deliver at no extra cost. I've had a bunch of blades sharpened by them. I don't have any festool blades though.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I just use simplegreen and a brass bristle brush.
I saw on YouTube someone said to try liquid laundry detergent... tried it last night and it worked. Just drizzled a little over the tips of the blade and added enough water to cover it. Let it sit for 15 mins and all the crud came off with an old toothbrush.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Another really good blade cleaner is Awesome Orange from Dollar.25 Tree. With extra dirty blades, a couple of strokes from a toothbrush may be needed. Generally, only a minute or two soak will make the crud rinsable.
IMG_1023.jpeg

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I send my Forrest Woodworker blades to their shop every 2-4 years and am very happy. They fix everything for a fair price. The best.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have a glue line TS blade I need sharpened . Would like to avoid shipping. Looking for recommendations in the Rock Hill, Fort Mill , Indian Land, Monroe area.
When I factor in driving to and from a sharpening business, that is probably at least thirty miles away from me, I just send my blades off to Forrest, knowing that they do a great job at a good price. Shipping is less than the cost and time of driving, at least for me.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS