Tree identifcation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I posted an earlier thread about finding help on my new lot.

After trying various sources with little luck, I ended up calling Moore County Forestry. The Forest ranger came out free and spent about 2 hours with me identifying all the trees we had time to come across. Also gave me good information on how to harvest and re-plant.

Thought I would share this with anyone needing help in the future.

What we found:

Loblolly Pine - No Brainer, I had to take about 1,500 out and that is about 1/4 of what I have.

Dogwoods, several - No brainer, found out they like shade and do really well if they don't get more than around 40% direct sunlight.

Red Maple

Black Tupelo

Water Oak

Laurel - shrub

Sourwood

Hickory

White Oak

Southern Red Oak

Pin Oak

Black Cherry

Tons of wild Muscadine, he says if I replant those and fertilize, they will bear fruit.

What he could not help with, is I am looking for about 20 Longleaf Pine Trees, something which will not break the bank but already has some growth in them. Any ideas?

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Willem - yep, the local Extension/Forestry service folks are generally a great resource!

WRT Long Leaf Pine, it is a very interesting species. LLP requires fire in order to (a) get the cones to open up and drop seed and (b) expose bare soil in order for the seed to "take".

Generally speaking Long Leaf is usually planted as a 1 year seedling and will require about 2 years to reach it's "jump up" phase. We purchased 50 seedlings from the VDOF a couple years ago, I think we paid about $75.00 for 50 plugs. Here's a link to the VDOF seedling catalog - NC may have a similar program with the state Dept of Forestry.

This site is a good informational reference on longleaf.

HTH,
Chris

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
While I don't know if they have LLP, the Wild Turkey Federation in Edgefield SC has a program for supplying seedlings.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Had a forestry worker as neighbor years back, we planted 6 LLP, despite best efforts none of them took.The dirt in my yard wont even grow rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors