Tree damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Noticed this week that one of my pines, close to the house has been damaged. Not sure how, or if it will kill the tree. Or if I should have it removed. (too close to the house for me to cut it down, and it's pretty tall.) It's about 4' off the ground, so nothing hit it. I haven't taken anything back there in years that would be tall enough to hit it. Lots of ants in it also, little bitty ones. And something strange, all my pines in that area had lots of locust shells on them. 10 or more on each tree, none on the oaks. Trees approx. 2' in diameter, damage is about 6" or so.

tree_2_.JPG

tree_1_.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bark damage that small won't affect the tree at all. It doesn't look like it got into the cambium so it should scab over quickly.

Dave:)

Rob

New User
Rob
Thanks Dave, no idea what could have done it? Nothing was out there that would have hit it that high.

Rob

New User
Rob
Well that would explain it if my son was still home, he's destructive like that. One reason I asked was because we saw a fox out there the night I noticed this, was scratching at a tree. Thought that was odd behavior.

smitty62

New User
Dick
I must politely disagree. That is surely woodpecker damage and they are after the insects under the bark. Don't think there is any rush, but you probably ought to be thinking of taking the tree down. I had a very similar case, (located about 6 feet from the base) but it was well away from the house and I let it fall naturally--took about two years. Good luck,
Dick

Rob

New User
Rob
There are woodpecker holes all over that tree, just didn't think about that whole section of bark being ripped off by one. It's among other trees that I've been wanting to take down anyways.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Arborist friend looked at your picks and said 'have someone look at it,' especially if it could reach your house. Borers or bird damage, or combination of two could create internal rot. Someone trained could tell if it was a threat... advanced enough to warrant bringing down. It is always sad to lose trees. :cry_smile But better than losing part of your house!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors