Travis bought a new tool......

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Hmmm, Travis -- I do detect a subtle change in your signature line :eusa_whis and perhaps there's been a failure to announce a purchase? :eusa_naug Or did I miss it? :slap:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Sharpening grit question

Hmmm, Travis -- I do detect a subtle change in your signature line :eusa_whis and perhaps there's been a failure to announce a purchase? :eusa_naug Or did I miss it? :slap:

Small purchase. Nothing major. Just something to help align blades in a 16" jointer since my magnaset will no longer work. Take a guess.

M

McRabbet

Maybe one of these? Or did you just go to Radio Shack and buy some magnets and make a set of these from John White's book?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Actually, it was one of these.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3200

Along with a dial indicator and base from Harbor Freight. My old Grizzly broke and wasn't doing real well, and when you come down to it, you need the things to align and make sure your stuff is working right at times.

I didn't know they made jointer jigs to go up to 16"though. I will have to think about that!! The one I have says it only works up to 8" jointers. On your second link, I do need to get John White's book. Lot of tips I could and should use. Speaking of John White, it doesn't appear he is the shop manager anymore of FWW. Have you noticed that?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Travis, I suggest you make your own jig, like the one in the FWW video. I made a pair for my 6" jointer, so for a 16" you'll probably need 4 to keep those machete blades up.

Why make your own? Very simple. It's a scaleable system. When you upgrade to the 24" jointer, you can just add two more jigs, as opposed to scrapping Yet Another Purchased Jointer Jig. :rolf:

BTW, here in the Raleigh area RadioShack appears to be completely out of magnets. Lowe's has 'em for $2.20 per pair.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Travis,
You have to change that line to say something like a Big tool or something like that, we all make small purchases, but your purchases are kind of legendary:lol:. In the end it probably doesn't matter because we always hear about the big purchases any, because they always seem to need heavy moving eguiptment or a slew of guys to help:rotflm:.

Good luck changing out those blades.

Jimmy:)

Steve W

New User
Steve

Actually, that Multi-Gauge will work no matter how big any of Travis' future jointers get!:rotflm:

That gauge is a really practical item that works great. I borrowed one from Woodartz (Bob) about a month ago and had my jointer knives set up in less than an hour.

:kermit: Steve

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I got the multi-guage out last night and definitely agree it is an awesome gauge, especially with the flat foot. I got the outfeed on the jointer perfectly in line with the blades and the jointer cuts like a dream. I will not be changing the blades out now as they are still in good shape.

PS - JimmyC, signature updated.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Travis, just go ahead, and get the Byrd head for that beast, and never worry about setting knives again!:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I broke this part out from the Sharpening Grit thread so it wouldn't be lost in the middle.
Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

I got the multi-guage out last night and definitely agree it is an awesome gauge, especially with the flat foot. I got the outfeed on the jointer perfectly in line with the blades and the jointer cuts like a dream. I will not be changing the blades out now as they are still in good shape.

PS - JimmyC, signature updated.

:icon_thum
Jimmy

cpowell

New User
Chuck

That was for a 3 phase head, right?

Crap, I was eating an ice cream bar reading this post and almost choked on it when I read your reply!! Very nice slam!! :rotflm: :rotflm:

Chuck

Travis...I'm glad to see your fellow NCWWers are keeping an eye on you...actually I consider the purchase to be a great improvement for you since you normally buy a bigger machine the first time the blades need sharpening! :rotflm: :rotflm:

Chuck

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

cpowell;138004t said:
...he blades need sharpening!
You can SHARPEN blades??? I better go pull my ad on Craig's List :)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Scary enough, I priced the Byrd head last night. RIGHT AT $1500!!! NO WAY!!!!
Anyone want to start a pool as to when, not if, Travis buys a Byrd head? I say right after the rebate checks arrive in the old bank account. Travis, remember that Brian over at Holbren gives a 10% discount to Woodnet.net members.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Anyone want to start a pool as to when, not if, Travis buys a Byrd head? I say right after the rebate checks arrive in the old bank account. Travis, remember that Brian over at Holbren gives a 10% discount to Woodnet.net members.

Hmmmm.... That brings it down to $1350. I can hear my wife now.:argue::argue::argue: And then would come :slap::slap:

I think I will wait. I want to save for a multi spindle line borer anyway. Bernhard has one of those so I am good to get one. :wink_smil

Seriously, I am going to buy some wood to build a rocking chair, and I have a complete set of kitchen cabinets, bookcases, bathroom vanities, and an office set up to make for a friend. This site in and of itself causes me to spend a lot of money. Time for me to sit back and use some stuff (after I get a line borer and a domino).

I still remember Sapwood's comment when I was thinking about buying the jointer. He said "he feels good about it". Sure, he feels good about it, he didn't have to lug it 200 miles.:wtongue:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Hmmmm....

I still remember Sapwood's comment when I was thinking about buying the jointer. He said "he feels good about it". Sure, he feels good about it, he didn't have to lug it 200 miles.:wtongue:

Excuse me??? Neither did you... I think that fell into my department...:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

Personally, I think that you're right to hold off on the Shelix upgrade. For the $, you can pick up something that let's you do something that you can't currently do (such as a domino).

Scott

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Personally, I think that you're right to hold off on the Shelix upgrade. For the $, you can pick up something that let's you do something that you can't currently do (such as a domino).

Scott

You are an ENABLER ! :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Jimmy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS