Track Saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
I am thinking about buying a track saw and was looking for input as to wheather the DeWalt TrackSaw is a good way to go? I need it so it will be easier to cut up the sheet goods that I use, does anyone have any suggestions on where to purchase and how much to pay for this saw? I know that Festool has one too but I don't have that kind of $.
:eusa_dancAlso, The HD Design Center here in Charlotte is going out of business and they are giving 15-40% off everything. They will go to 20-45% tomorrow or Wed. No Shop tools at these stores, but all kinds of hand power tools.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
IIRC, the DeWalt and the Festool kits are very nearly the same price???? nice gear, either one, though!

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Al - From what I've seen, the net cost to own the Dewalt will be about the same, if not more, than the Festool. It has some nice features, but IMHO I'd place my bet on the Festool.

Dewalts product line has some good, and some bad. Also, should you want to sell it the resell value is not as good as Festool.

The Festool product line has many more positives than negatives, and the resell value is excellent. Also, the Festool product has been on the market longer and the kinks are probably out of it for the mostpart by now.

Watch Craigslist. I just found a Festool TS55 and the CT22 Dust Collector for $500 with the guide system and all.

Disclaimer: I do not own either and have only used the Festool in real life. I've researched both extensively for my own wants/needs though. So take my opinion as being of only 2 cents in value!

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I was all hot to buy one of these but I realized that a good clamping straight edge works just as good for cutting up to 4' widths. For 8' cuts I clamp down an 8' level and cut away. Won't say that it is better than owning a $500-800 system but it works for me.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I was kinda thinking like Bigdog72. I'm not sure all your requirements, but a good circular saw and various guides can take you a long way. I have a 4' crosscut guide, an 8' ripping guide, and I want to make a miter guide.

Essestially you take a piece of 1/4" ply (12" wide or so) and screw a jointed board to it. Then using your circular saw with your favorite blade cut along your guide and that is exactly where it will cut each time you clamp it to your sheet goods.

Here is a great FWW article that discusses these jigs.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=2659

This is one of those jigs that I wish I had made years ago.

Amy

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Coincidentally, I received the May 2009 issue of Popular Woodworking magazine on the mail today and they do a review of the Dewalt, Festool and Makita plunge/track saws. They all scored pretty evenly, however the way I read it, the Festool won for the dust collection.

If you are by a book store pick it up, have a seat and some coffee and have a look at what they have to say.:wsmile:

Wayne

(I use the Progrip clamps and a small circsaw. Works great for the little ply I use.)

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I think I am going with the straight edge and circular saw, it is the least expensive way for me right now. I already have a 52" straight edge so all I need is a saw. Again thanks for all for your help and advise, this is a great site for the wwer.
Big Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS