Toybox for Grandson's first birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjscottinnc

New User
Mike
Pictures of the toybox before it gets stained and finished. The toybox is made out of the 3/4" Poplar, as are the raised panels, rails and stiles. The sides are joined with through dovetails. The embedded checker board is 3/4" walnut and maple squares, and the bottom of the box is 3/4" cabinet makers birch plywood. It is hard to tell, but there are 4 small bun feet I turned on the lathe out of 4 x 4 Poplar and attached behind the molding strip in the bottom. They create about a 1 inch reveal from the floor. The stain color is a Mission Oak which I made a shade lighter brown and added a little gray. Kind of a New but Aged look, the samples I've stained look very nice. The finish will be two under coats of blonde Shellac and four coats of stain urethane. It came out nice and I still have all my fingers, success all around.

Attachments

• 20160131_164517.jpg
    20160131_164517.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20160131_164814.jpg
    20160131_164814.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 97

Grimmy2016

Scott
WOW. Very nice. It makes my plan for my own sons toy box look insignificant. How long total to build and finish it?

It looks pretty sizable as well. What are the rough dimensions?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
OUTSTANDING ! ! ! :notworthy: I love the dovetails, the raised panels, and especially the checker board inlay.

But I do have one question, since this is a child's toy box. When I build toy boxes I always try to create ways to get air inside the box, even w/ the lid closed. I can't quite tell from the pics, but are there "air holes" anywhere so a child could breathe should they get trapped inside? Just a thought.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very cool! I am sure he will get a lot of use out of that and it should become an heirloom he can pass on.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nicely done!

I too really like the checkerboard idea. Very unique.

Wayne

mjscottinnc

New User
Mike
Thanks to all. I can't take the credit for the checkerboard inlay, I saw an episode of New Yankee Workshop maybe 12 years ago and Norm's had the inlay in his project. His toy box was strictly utilitarian though, flat pine and MDF, and 1/2" top and bottom. I wanted to make sure this would last while my grandson was jumping up and down in it, so that is why I went 3/4". I also made it a bit deeper, by about 2". The box dimensions are 42" x 19 1/2" x 17" (16" without the trim and feet). As for airflow, I thought about that... the back of the top is flush with the base, but the top is oversized so the sides and front hang over. I used some Poplar stringers on the inside of the top to keep things level front to back. So good airflow with the top down. The bigger top also required me to use heavy duty soft down lid stays. The assembly part of the project took about 2 weeks, 2 hours after work on weekdays and two full Sat and Sun. There were some additional delays, like finding that someone had used my wood chisel to remove concrete. So I spend an entire Sat sharping my chisels and turning tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS