Toy box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
Haven't posted anything for awhile, but here is a cherry toy box from Santa's workshop for my grandson.

Most challenging part was mounting the requested soft close arm to protect little fingers and puppy dog noses!

Manufacturer directions left something to be desired for the critical stage of alignment for closure, IMHO.

attachment.php

Attachments

• toy box-1.jpg
    toy box-1.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 207

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice job, Bob. Looks like you covered all the key features: soft close lid and space for air to get in when the lid is closed. I like the brass handles.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Very nice! Good suggestion to include the soft close arm, and I like the cutout in the front side to be able to lift the lid and allow air inside. Very pretty wood and finish!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nicely done. You seem to have solved the problem, but in future you might want to look at these hinges which double as lid-stay stops. They can be sized to the weight of the lid and keep it open at any angle, requiring a manual effort to close the lid. I used them with great success on a blanket chest.

http://www.rockler.com/lid-stay-torsion-hinge-lid-support-satin-nickel

They also come in a couple of other finishes. Extremely easy to install.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very nicely done. You seem to have solved the problem, but in future you might want to look at these hinges which double as lid-stay stops. They can be sized to the weight of the lid and keep it open at any angle, requiring a manual effort to close the lid. I used them with great success on a blanket chest.

http://www.rockler.com/lid-stay-torsion-hinge-lid-support-satin-nickel

They also come in a couple of other finishes. Extremely easy to install.

+10 on these hinges. Very easy to install and they work awesome! Nice looking toy box Bob. Wait until that cherry darkens...beautiful!

Red

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree that Cherry is only going to only to get better with age. You made a great choice of wood for this project. I love Cherry for these kind of projects.

Cato

New User
Bob
Thanks Ken! I did look hard at those torsion hinges, but wasn't familiar with them and how well they worked. For the price of one of them I was able to get the solid brass hinges and the soft close arm, which I had seen a video of. However, the soft close arm was a PITA to get aligned for closure and the instructions weren't as thorough as I would have liked on how to achieve that. LOL, had I known I would have gladly gone with these torsion hinges and avoided the experience.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Love the box Bob! Would I have loved that box for toys when I was a kid! I did get some really nice presents though; on my 8th Christmas, my father made me a workbench with wood vice, and a box of tools, hammer, screwdriver, brace and bits, saw, folding rule, etc. Best darn Christmas ever! He was simply giving me those in self defense, so I would quit using his tools, and that's the truth!

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Really nice toy box that will be enjoyed for ears to come.

+1 what Ken and Red said on the Rockler hinges. Costly yes, but hey, we are protecting the fingers of our grand kids, so very well worth it in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS