Tormek Users, Educate Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
My wife says she will buy me a machine to sharpen her scissors and kitchen knives. Now let me qualify that by telling you that she sews hundreds of costumes a year. She has a dozen or so pairs of scissors so a quality machine that will do the job quickly and without a lot of fuss is what I'm after. That's why I think the Tormek is the right machine. I probably would use it for plane irons and chisels, when I bring home old Stanley's and such. I don't see me using it for lathe tools cause I already have a slow speed grinder for that and a high speed for everything else. I just have not had a lot of time to study up on the ins and outs of the different Tormek models. I've noticed that WC and Klingspor have two models. There seems to be a large and a small version. WC also has a Jet but the one review I've read on it leads me to believe that the machine don't hold up over time.
Can someone with experience using this type grinder help me get up to speed on which is better for what I'm wanting it for.
Thanks
Rob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Robert, the Tormek T7 is their top of the line machine. I have one (with the scissor jig) that you're welcome to try out before you buy.

Tormek reputedly has the highest quality grinding stones (as compared with the Jet or Grizzly), and Grizzly in essence copied the Tormek system.

For sewing, you will want a very high quality edge, and the Tormek will provide that. You could probably sharpen the scissors more quickly free hand on a narrow belt sander, but you will get a more consistent edge on the Tormek.

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Robert, the Tormek T7 is their top of the line machine. I have one (with the scissor jig) that you're welcome to try out before you buy.

Tormek reputedly has the highest quality grinding stones (as compared with the Jet or Grizzly), and Grizzly in essence copied the Tormek system.

For sewing, you will want a very high quality edge, and the Tormek will provide that. You could probably sharpen the scissors more quickly free hand on a narrow belt sander, but you will get a more consistent edge on the Tormek.

x2

I also have one with the scissor jig etc, and you're welcome to try mine as well. Scott's shop is a lot more interesting (and cleaner) than mine though, and I'm not any closer to you.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert

That's one other thing I picked-up from the Jet review I read.

I've tried my 1' belt sander before with cheap scissors and I don't see that as an option without shop building an elaborate jig to hold the scissors. I just don't have the time or patience to go that route.

Thanks for the offer to see one in action, guys. I don't have any plans to be up your way at this time, but things have a way of changing. If they do I'll give ya a shout.

Is there a real advantage to having the larger machine other than more surface area?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Robert,
I have the older Tormek 2000 version with a scissor jig I've yet to use. You're welcome to come over and try it. As far as the bigger machine...there's more than a bigger wheel. There's heavier parts, better motor, stainless steel parts and more attachments which are required to really make it work correctly. Personally I would wait for a used one.

I just got everything used this fall right before the big Gingher Factory sale in Greensboro (ask your wife...she should know about Gingher, they're the Cadilac of sewing scissors). Anyway...I won't be needing the scissors jig anytime soon :rotflm:
Extreme_Cuisine_002.jpg

Extreme_Cuisine_003.jpg

I don't think we paid more than $75 for the whole lot. Her sewing friends and family members had nice Christmas gifts this year.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I just got everything used this fall right before the big Gingher Factory sale in Greensboro (ask your wife...she should know about Gingher, they're the Cadilac of sewing scissors). Anyway...I won't be needing the scissors jig anytime soon :rotflm:

You may not have needed that jig yet but one of these days your going to have a lot of sharpening to do. :eusa_doh: Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS