Tools I wish for

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Not for a router plane, just FYI - Wood by Wright is selling a depth adjuster knob for regular hand planes with finer threads for a more precise depth setting. Wonder if that is actually worth it?
https://www.woodbywright.com/shop/adjuster
Yes, from Reed Planes. To go with it, you can get the un-fitted yoke and make a good old series 16 work like a champ. I tried his high angle block but it left the frog unsupported with the screw heads on edge, so it all went back. As I find I grab my Bailey #4 more often than my Wood River, I may do the yoke and knob change. Now I have a bedrock #5, I may do it. But even the yoke has to fit the sometimes sloppy iron slot with raw punched edges. The Norris is a better design if it is well done. The new Sweetheart is an example of it NOT being well done. Shame.

Katz-Moses, Reed, Froip, Cosman, Hock... and the list of small dedicated manufactures goes on. Even Lie-Neilson, Veritas, and Woodpeckers may be bigger, but not major international manufacturers. Not everyone outsources to TTI and the like. Bridge City did sell to Harvey, but John seems to still do his thing. Small brand names like Wood River or Bench Dog still do the design and just outsource.

FWIW, to the best of my knowledge Laguna still designs and manufactures their professional end tools in Italy. Only their consumer "classic" series is OEM. All of the OEM'd brand names are built to a spec and price point, so each OEM may make a similar, but slightly different tool for different brand resellers. Harvey was one of the OEM's who built the early SawStop professional. I do not know who builds SS now. One of the big four I expect. There are other OEMs who mostly build industrial tools I do not know. I wish companies like Grizzly, with multiple brand names, would put in the effort to raise one brand to the higher quality leaving their main brand as price point leader. Like the old days when a Lincoln or Cadillac was actually a better car, not just imported lipstick on a broken down pig. Any of the OEM's CAN make any level of quality or features the brands ask for. The brands just have to ask for it and we have to pay the price. Unfortunately, so many only buy on initial price, not TCO or even appreciate the difference.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
That makes sense, SR. It's still frustrating for us consumers.

No doubt about that. I do think there is a big opportunity for someone to offer add-ons or improvements that addresses some of the issues TVR has laid out.

I know I would pay $50-$75 for a magnetic DC attachment with a 4" port and enclosure for the underside of my bandsaw table.

The similarity between brands would help facilitate a one-size-fits-all solution for these types of add-ons. Anyone have 3D printer skills?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have been looking at 3D printers. Seems one can get a decent one suitable for making ports, adapters, bushings etc for under $200. Big learning curve of course, as if I needed another hobby. ( 3D CAD software may be separate and cost a lot more!) My foam block and vac nozzle has made outside the band saw virtually dust free, but the lower cab is still getting some dust. More work to follow. I did make a vac adapter for my old Makita belt sander with PVC pipe and a heat gun.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Ah, for personal use, Fusion 360 is free, FreeCad, Blender. All suitable 3D CAD. Things like a band saw port might be very time consuming, but things like a proper radius for DC ports could be easy. Who knows what trouble I may get into.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
No doubt about that. I do think there is a big opportunity for someone to offer add-ons or improvements that addresses some of the issues TVR has laid out.

I know I would pay $50-$75 for a magnetic DC attachment with a 4" port and enclosure for the underside of my bandsaw table.

The similarity between brands would help facilitate a one-size-fits-all solution for these types of add-ons. Anyone have 3D printer skills?
I made one myself for about $6.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I first did one similar to Martin. Now it is a bigger box made of some foam. I still want hook up the output from the vac as more forceful cross wind.
If course, if you tilt your table, it is a bigger problem, and easy access to the guides needs to be considered. I change bands often.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not that happy with the Veritas router plane for exactly the reasons TVR stated. My Stanley 71 has better mechanism.

I don't see how a WR even compares to a Stanley by feel/weight, adjusting screws/lever cap/blade thickness........Sold off all my Stanleys and replaced with WR's except for LN 4 1/2 (very sweet plane!!)

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
I made one myself for about $6.

Yep for sure. But with my limited shop time, I'd rather work on a project versus work on shop improvements. I found a cool replaceable Kapex insert from a small business here. It works great and changes out in a few seconds. Could I make one out of MDF? Sure. I made a few for my last mitre saw (12" Bosch Glide). Sometimes I'm just lazy I guess, and I don't mind supporting a US small business.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
I have been looking at 3D printers. Seems one can get a decent one suitable for making ports, adapters, bushings etc for under $200. Big learning curve of course, as if I needed another hobby. ( 3D CAD software may be separate and cost a lot more!) My foam block and vac nozzle has made outside the band saw virtually dust free, but the lower cab is still getting some dust. More work to follow. I did make a vac adapter for my old Makita belt sander with PVC pipe and a heat gun.
Oh yeah, you could make a killing on ports/adapters/bushings. Small, easy to ship, setup 3 or 4 3D printers. Offer them on that Festool forum and SMC. I bet they'd sell like hot cakes.

Rob01

New User
Robert
I wish companies like Grizzly, with multiple brand names, would put in the effort to raise one brand to the higher quality leaving their main brand as price point leader.
I wish so too. I bet there would be enough people out there willing to pay for extra quality if they could be assured that's what they're getting. I don't think anybody was selling those super expensive, but super quality, coolers until Yeti and that was a home run.

Rob01

New User
Robert
Oh yeah, you could make a killing on ports/adapters/bushings. Small, easy to ship, setup 3 or 4 3D printers. Offer them on that Festool forum and SMC. I bet they'd sell like hot cakes.
You can check out Etsy for all kinds of items along these lines.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors